Sunday, January 17, 2021

Clarissa


Clarissa
It's a new flimsy!
86 x 86 


I started making blocks back in July 2016 after I saw a blog post at Kathy's Quilts about a c. 1886-1890 quilt made by Clarissa White Alford.   You know I just love to make my own version of vintage quilts that inspire me! 

There are 1296 QSTs (Quarter Square Triangles) in 36 twelve inch (finished) blocks. 

I've had all of the blocks finished for awhile now but I just could not decide on a fabric for the sashing. Then a few weeks ago I received a surprise package of WOWs (white on whites) from a friend and in the box was the perfect sashing - a muslin like fabric lightly printed with what looked like Queen Anne's lace or maybe Yarrow.  And after I figured out how much fabric I needed for the sashings I was pleasantly surprised to find there was just enough. So I immediately set about sashing my blocks before I forgot what I was going to use for the sashing and used it with some other quilt. 


This will now go into the hand quilting pile so you may not see Clarissa again for awhile. 

 My January OMG (One Monthly Goal) was to assemble at least one top from the large box of complete block sets.  This is top #3.   The first to be assembled was Dakota Farmer (Stars).  Quilt top #2 was Blue Economy Blocks. 




25 comments:

Linda said...

What a pretty quilt. The blocks look like lace to me so your choice of sashing was a perfect match. How lucky that your friend sent all those fabrics including the exact one you needed to complete this project.

Meredith said...

So pretty! This will be fun to handquilt; you can revisit each block!

Julierose said...

What a lovely finish on this one...beautiful work hugs, Julierose

JCH said...

How lovely! And a good size. Great work.

The Joyful Quilter said...

SEW exciting that just the right fabric came in to get Clarissa done!! :o))

Magpie Sue said...

She's a beauty!

swooze said...

I think this is the first time I’ve seen your Clarissa. I’ve ooh’ed and ah’ed over it since the first time Shelly shared it at The Life of Hazel Ilene. Swoon!

MissPat said...

It's amazing how different each block looks depending on the color and value choices. Hourglass blocks and I are not friends, so this doesn't tempt me at all, but I like the way yours looks.
Pat

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

Oh, such tiny pieces! I can't imagine making that many blocks with such small hourglasses.

Laura said...

Absolutely love your version of Clarissa! :)

Deb said...

Amazing, I love the colors! Such fun!

momto1 said...

Beautiful! This one just sparkles!

mangozz said...

Your quilt looks so soft and delicate, like Queen Annes Lace! But, all of those QSTs! Pressing all of those seams and matching them up would drive me nuts!

Julie in GA said...

I loved following along as you were making all of those beautiful blocks. Your quilt top is absolutely gorgeous! I love the way your color choices change the look of the design.

Pamela Arbour said...

It's beautiful. A lot of work in that.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Oh how I adore Clarissa!! I would love to see her again... so quilt soon haha!! what a great quilt!!!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Looks like that sashing was just meant to be! What a great friend! I love those blocks - and they turned into a beautiful quilt!

Kat Scribner said...

Wow Cathy! This is just a fantastic quilt !!! Love Love, saving for inspiration . Have a great week.

gayle said...

I love this so much! It's on my to-do list, too. Or my someday list. One or the other...

Bonnie said...

Congratulations on getting those blocks to top stage! It is amazing. And what a bonus to be gifted the perfect sashing.

Susie H said...

Way to get those blocks together! Clarissa is simply beautiful! Love how the blocks look so delicate and then, all put together, made a good-sized quilt! Fabulous job!

Nann said...

I've admired Clarissa all along and my admiration is undiminished!

maggie fellow said...

truly amazing

QuiltGranma said...

What a lovely top! No borders though?

Vivian said...

Glad to see you got your gorgeous top done! I must have missed this post back in January. I love that you will be hand quilting yours just the way Clarissa did hers!