I posted on Saturday that I only needed 13 more 3 inch spools to reach my goal of 766. I've been making these for about three years in the Rainbow Scrap Challenge monthly color. I couldn't wait until next month's color is declared to finish them up. I scooped up the scraps left over from the recent ABC top and made the final spools +2 in case I counted incorrectly.
Then Kathy of Kathy's Quilts blog posted a pic of a vintage hourglass quilt made by Clarissa White Alford that inspired her to start making one as a new leader/ender project. I love the quilt and was also inspired and although I don't sew leader/ender style I decided to make a block to remind me to make more blocks so I can make my own version of the Clarissa quilt. My block finishes at 12 inches. I used 1.5 inch strips and cut them with a Companion Angle Ruler to make the hourglass units.
See those little 2.5 inch Broken Dishes Blocks to the right of the Clarissa Block? On the 1.5 inch strips before I used the Companion Angle Ruler I used the EZ Angle Ruler and cut little pieces for those HSTs so as not to waste any fabric. And now that I've finished making Spools from those 1.5 inch scraps I guess I'm now making little Broken Dishes. In five years or so I might have enough for a very large quilt.
July Birthday Blocks
Well, I received this year's block I requested in March. Other ladies in the group also have birthdays and sometimes paybacks are hell! Linda requested we make Storm at Sea in batiks and the colors you see here. After making this block I know I NEVER want to make a Storm at Sea quilt. NEVER, NEVER, EVER. NEVER....EVER. Penny requested Shooting Star using our choice of summer prints and solids for the corners. Now this is more my style! I do like to try different things and I have to say that sometimes I get a workout with the Birthday girls. (Note to self...you have not mailed these off yet and July is almost over.)
Cathy requested Card Basket with cream/tan background and dark colors for the rest of the block. I still had some of that blue batik from Storm at Sea laying on my sewing table so that dark went into this block as well. This block was not difficult to make but I'm not in love and I don't feel the urge to make any more.
This month I also tried some improv Spiky Leaf blocks a la Block Lotto. Although I enjoyed last month's improv Bull's Eye blocks (and may someday make a whole quilt of them) I did not enjoy making these and will try one more time to make more blocks for my Old MacDonald Sampler before I decide on an alternate block.
Finally, there's a 3 inch 9 patch swap coming up in August so I made 10 sets of 6 for swapping (plus made some for me too). I love these little things and have used them in a Sister's Choice quilt and a Jack's Chain quilt. Can't wait to see what the 60 I get back will look like.
Yesterday I cut all the pieces I need to finish the Super Hero quilt. I was going to make it for my grandson's bed in the camper and surprise him with it but I've switched gears. I'm now in a hurry to make it for my son-in-law who was diagnosed on Monday with Acute Myeloid Leukemia. In this episode the Super Heroes fight against leukemia. The back and binding will be orange - the color of leukemia awareness.