Saturday, January 23, 2021

Table Scraps

Zig Zag Table Runner
18 x 56


This week I used pink rose and valentine scraps to make a table runner. Well, actually it is a table runner on a buffet so is it a buffet runner?  

I had been thinking of making placemats, hot pads, table runners and other small items to use scraps and small pieces of scrap batting and then I saw Joyful Quilter issue a Table Scraps Challenge so thought I would quit thinking and start making.  I have LOTs of small pieces of scrap batting that are too small to piece for quilts and a little large to cut up for pillow stuffing so the Table Scraps Challenge might just keep me motivated to make something for a table each month. 


I used a pattern at Instructables.  But I did not topstitch on my sewing machine...I used perle cotton and did topstitching as well as some big stitch quilting in the ditch around the squares.

I used an old piece of pink gingham on the back so I'm thinking this table runner is reversible because I love gingham. 

 I'm not really crazy about decorating with pink but since it is almost Valentine's Day and since I do love roses and hearts I guess I will leave it in place for awhile. 

Now I've made a huge dent in my pink scrap chunks except for some pastels and I think I'll leave those alone for awhile until I can decide what to do with them. 

21 comments:

maggie fellow said...

good start for the table scraps challenge. roses and valentines go together

Deb A said...

Great start on your table scrap challenge!It came out great.... and who doesn't love gingham?

---"Love" said...

It really is beautiful! And you know I love pink, don't you? ---"Love"

grammajudyb said...

I think your scrappy “buffet” runner looks great! That’s what my Table Scraps projects will be too! Buffets, side tables, even the top of my half wall divider where I have plants. Well done!

The Joyful Quilter said...

Hearts and roses... SEW perfect for your PINK table runner, Cathy!!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

That is pretty and looks perfect for your buffet! Thanks for sharing the link to the pattern - it's a good one for using up extra charm squares.

MissPat said...

I fully intended to make something for Joy's Table Scraps challenge, but here it is the end of January and it hasn't happened yet. But you reminded me that I have some fabric with pink roses, so maybe I can still pull something out of my hat.
Pat

Kathy S. said...

Great idea to make a Valentine project with the pink. It's cute!

Cathy said...

Cute table runner! I like that pattern!

Linda said...

Looks very pretty on your buffet - what we would call a sideboard here in the UK. Nice way to decorate for Valentine’s Day.

The Cozy Quilter said...

Your runner is perfect for Valentine’s Day!

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Ohmy gosh - yes!! this is the most adorable Buffet runner!!! and the stitching in perle - just adds to its happiness!

gayle said...

I love your Buffet Runner! And look at you ahead of the holiday!

Kaja said...

I hadn't really thought about batting scraps, despite having a huge bag full of them, but this is a great prompt to try and use some of them.

Susie H said...

Your buffet runner turned out really pretty in pink. Love the fabrics in it.

QuiltGranma said...

Ah, sew Pretty in Pink!

Ivani said...

So pretty your buffet runner, Cathy.
Great start for the table scraps challenge.

Karen's Korner said...

A lovely runner and just right for Valentines Day. Nice work.

scraphappy said...

Such a pretty buffet runner. What a nice way to put all those pink scraps to good use.

Joansy said...

Oh, so pretty! I love the zigzag and the colors! I'm giving you a standing ovation!

Quilter Kathy said...

Perfect for Valentine's Day! ANd I love the pink gingham!