Tuesday, January 5, 2021

It's A Flimsy! Dakota Farmer

It's a flimsy!
Dakota Farmer
64 x 80

Why is it called Dakota Farmer?
That's what Bonnie Hunter called it in her Addicted to Scraps column in the November/December 2013 issue of Quiltmaker.  Bonnie Hunter used 2 inch (unfinished) HSTs to make her blocks but I used 2.5 inch HSTs because that's what I had on hand. 

I started making blocks as a Rainbow Scrap Challenge project back in January 2020 and it is one of the last quilts to come out of my 2.5 inch scrap box. 


I just sewed blocks together randomly. And, gosh, that was a lot of points to match up! Well, actually, not all of them actually match up but that will be our little secret. 


This completes my OMG (One Monthly Goal) for January. However, I'm continuing on to complete more quilt tops. I just wanted to get that goal of "at least one" out of the way. 

We've had lots of snow (9 inches, I think) and even more ice on top of the snow so it was a dangerous walk outside to take pictures. I couldn't take my usual clothesline photos because all of the clothespins and the clothesline were encased in ice.  So I posed my flimsy on the old Concord grape vine trellis. (There are no grapes on this trellis anymore. When my father- in- law moved in with us long ago he thought he would do us a favor and prune the vines and he pruned a little too much, bless his heart). 

Everything here is coated in hoarfrost and it is actually very beautiful - a winter wonderland.  When the sun shines everything glistens like jewels.  But the sun has not been shining much. 


Early this morning when the moon was still high in the sky and the sun was rising everything white glowed pink. 

I was hoping to get a good picture of the sun rising across the road but my timing was a little off. 


 Ok. Well, back to the warm sewing room....

21 comments:

Quiltdivajulie said...

Fabulous nature photos -- just glorious. And that quilt top --- oh my gosh. What a beauty!

Julierose said...

Another just stunning quilt top!! And lovely pictures--just beautiful scenes...
hugs, Julierose ;)))

Ann said...

Your quilt top is delightful. Such a good color combination. Hooray for you, Cathy. And the photos are great. Love the hoar frost. We saw the moon recently, too, but rising over buildings isn't as pretty.

cityquilter grace said...

what a gorgeous quilt! and lovely photos...isn't nature amazing!

Pamela Arbour said...

Beautiful quilt and so are the pictures

Laura said...

The scrap quilt looks great, Cathy, but I am in love with winter scenery! Gorgeousness! :)

The Joyful Quilter said...

Congrats on knocking out your OMG for January SEW early in the month, Cathy!!

---"Love" said...

What another cheerful quilt! So you're at it again! Love your 'ice' pictures! They are giving me chills! Think I'll go to bed and get under the warm covers! ---"Love"

Sharon Kwilter said...

I love that scrappy quilt; it's really creative.

Linda said...

Brilliant photos. I’m not a fan of snow when you have to travel and work but in Lockdown I would be able to tolerate it. Your photos are superb, like looking at the January page on an glossy calendars. The Dakota Farmer flimsy is fabulous! Just imagine, all those 2.5” squares were only the remains in your box!

mangozz said...

Beautiful winter snow and hoarfrost photos! You're off to a good start this year with a quilt finish already, and a cute one at that. I hope you don't need that clothesline to actually dry your laundry anytime soon.

momto1 said...

Are you sure there aren’t multiples of you at work there? You put out so many beautiful quilts. It’s hard to believe you’re just one person,

This quilt is so very pretty, and it just glows in the snow, Thank you for the treats!

ginkgokid said...

All your quilts are just wonderful, but this one is extra special! Seeing it photographed in the snow adds a special glow to the colors. You are amazing to make so many beautiful quilts....I admire your ability to make so many!
I love stars and your photos have encouraged me to add this one to my list of 'Quilts to Do'. Thank you for sharing your fantastic quilts!

SandyPA said...

You did it again! Another lovely quilt that I need to copy. I like the simplicity of Dakota Farmer and the grid those blocks create when assembled. Lovely quilt and gorgeous nature photos! Sandy at sewhigh.blogspot.com

Julie in GA said...

Beautiful quilt--so cheery and bright! I love your photos in the snow (although I don't miss dealing with snow myself.)

Kaja said...

Hoar frost is my absolute favourite thing about winter, though the last time we had a good one must be 9 years ago now. Your quilt top looks just lovely against the snow.

Linda R said...

Beautiful quilt! So much work. Well done.

swooze said...

Wow to the quilt and double wow to the snow pics!

Emily said...

Beautiful, colorful, scrappy top and just as beautiful snowy wonderland. No snow for us here, my son is very disappointed.

gayle said...

I adore those gorgeous scrappy stars, but your frosty pictures are making me shiver! Brrr!!!

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

I love this quilt Cathy. When I saw the blocks being made I wasn’t that enamored. But jumbled all together they are amazing!