Tuesday, January 28, 2020

Pondering a UFO: Blind Man's Fancy Tea in the Rose Garden

 I started Blind Man's Fancy Tea in the Rose Garden in May 2017.  I used an online pattern to make these 15 inch blocks.   It wasn't until August 2019 that I completed all 25 blocks.   I think the reason I took so long to complete the set of blocks is because there are lots of pieces- some very small and some that required odd sizes of cuts like 1-13/16.  It's not like I didn't know what I was in for when I started making this quilt because I have already completed one with hand quilting made in civil war reproduction fabrics.  I think the work is worth it; however, sometimes I just am not in the mood to do the work.  So that's part of the reason this continues to be a UFO. 

After I completed the set of 25 blocks back in August 2019 I was not in a mood to make the Flying Geese sashing so I stuck it in a project box and tucked it away on a shelf.  Each month I try to move at least one old UFOs forward so look at my list and choose one.  So that's where  I am now. 

The Flying Geese are small and finish at 1.25 x 2.5. Each sashing strip is made up of 12 of those little Flying Geese.  If my math is correct I then need a total of 792 Flying Geese. That seems like an overwhelming task so I started thinking of what I need in terms of sashing strips. So, I need 66 sashing strips. That's better. That doesn't seem like it's as much work. I can handle that. 

 I prefer to cut Flying Geese with the Companion and Easy Angle rulers but for some reason when I tried this method they didn't turn out the right size. So I decided to follow the instructions and use quarter and half square triangles to make them...
3.75 inch squares cut twice on the diagonal for the FG body and 2-1/8 squares cut once on the diagonal for the FG wings.  That's tedious and boring work and seems slower than cutting with the Easy and Companion Angle rulers but, like I said, I do want to move this UFO forward and not put it back on the shelf so I'm willing to do what needs to be done.   So I work on it every day for at least 15-20 minutes.  That includes cutting pieces, sewing, ironing and trimming. I start my sewing day with this task. Just 15-20 minutes and I can move on to something else. Sometimes I move on to another 15-20 minute task which may be but isn't necessarily even sewing related. 

When I have a little basket full of Flying Geese I trim them in the evening while watching whatever my husband decides to watch on TV. A few minutes here and there all adds up. I hope to have my sashings all made in no time. I have just had an attitude adjustment. I can do this. I think I'm already an eleventh of the way there! 

6 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

oh so many flying geese - this is one pattern I sometimes have trouble with and then other times they all turn out great!

Cathy said...

Go Cathy! I don’t think I’ve ever been *that* motivated on a project before. It’s going to be beautiful, though!

MissPat said...

I love that rose fabric, very feminine. I've just been using the Easy Angle and Companion rulers for some geese and, while they come out pretty good, I wish I could oversize the pieces just a smidge so there's a little to trim. I did it a few weeks ago on some of the flying geese for Bonnie Hunter's Frolic, but clearly forgot how I did it.
Pat

gayle said...

You're going to be the world's leading expert on flying geese by the time you get all those sashings made! (Especially the WLE on itty bitty flying geese!)
I agree that breaking it down into do-able parts seems to make it easier. 66 sashing strips? Pfft! You could do that in your sleep!

Linda said...

I do admire your guts and stickability! The guts to start this marathon project in the first place( and for the second time!) and then to tackle it piece by piece, strip of flying geese by strip of flying geese at a time. I’m afraid I would have taken one look at the pattern and all the cutting and sewing involved and moved on to something else. But here you are, well down the road to another amazing quilt finish! Congratulations!

Quiltdivajulie said...

One seam at a time . . . I think I can, I think I can (said the little engine that could). The results will be SO worth these efforts.