Saturday, January 4, 2020

The Green Green Scraps of Home


 Light and bright green is the RSC (Rainbow Scrap Challenge) color of the month. 
I made three Plus Postage blocks from my 1.5 inch green scraps. I made that brown one last year when I was testing out the block.  These blocks finish at 10 inches. 
 I found the pattern in an old magazine. The pattern called for using strip sets but I'm not doing that. I'm just using 1.5 inch squares from my scrap bin. 

 I made two Rocky Glen blocks from 1.5 inch scraps. The one far left was my test block from last year. These finish at 7.5 inches and I was going to make them in secondary and primary colors keeping the longer center strips in the RSC color of the month.  They are not all that difficult to make but now I'm thinking I don't like these all that much and they will go into the orphan block box. 
The instructions for Rocky Glen came from the Ladies' Art Company Block Tool.  At some later date I may try some in a larger size but for now I'm not going to make any more of these blocks.  Well, maybe first I'll try one made of all green scraps to see if I like them in a single color. 


 These Wishing Rings that finish at 3.5 inches were started last year. I'm making a large quilt so I figure I need about 300 each of light and dark corner blocks. I have about 125 of each toward that goal.   The center is two inches and the sides and corners are 1.5 inches.   I cut the side pieces from 1.5 inch scraps and I cut the center and corners from 3.5 inch scraps. (From the 3.5 inch scrap I make a 2 inch cut and two 1.5 inch cuts.  I cut the two 1.5 inch into four 1.5 inch squares and I cut the 2 inch cut into a 2 inch square and a 1.5 inch square).
While I was in the 3.5 inch scraps I made a few Broken Dishes blocks which is another project carried over from years past. I was going to combine them with some 16 patch blocks but changed my mind and will just make a quilt of Broken Dishes.  When I end up with scraps less than a 3.5 inch square I've been sewing them into strips for use at some later date for a Chinese Coins quilt. Well, most of these pieces were actually 3.5 inch squares but someone accidentally rolled the Rotary Cutter over them

15 comments:

maggie fellow said...

I really like your rocky glen blocks and I have that quilters block thingy and haven't thought to use it. - great projects

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

great blocks - I haven't started my green colors and I plan to this week (or at least before the end of the month)!!

QuiltGram said...

I wanted to thank you for adding a comment under the Plus Postage quilt. I love the magazine version. Since I learned how to quilt many many years before rotary cutting, sometimes I forget that one can strip piece blocks such as these. I really like this quilt but don’t have the time needed to sew the squares individually. I have two planned quilts for sibling grandchildren that need to be done by early March. And yes, I happen to be one of those who is more comfortable with sticking to one quilt from start to finish. But, I am not adverse to stacking up fabrics and bagging them up for my ‘next’ project. And I already have a family member that I want to give this particular quilt to.

I also like the Rocky Glen Quilt. So happy to see it done in green as I think working with green would be a good stretch for me this year. I do enjoy seeing all of your quilts and how you juggle them. We as a community are always learning from one another. Thank you for all of your time and work preparing each blog. And as a former registered nurse who was involved with documentation, I have a very good idea how time consuming this task actually is. I thank you and all the other bloggers that I follow as you have greatly enriched my life so I’m sure that includes other lives also. Hugs from Maine.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

The Plus Postage blocks are really great, Cathy! Perfect for all the different colors. Will you keep the plus section all in red?

The Joyful Quilter said...

AMAZING start to the 2020 Rainbow Scrap Challenge!!! Have fun with the rest of your Light/Bright GREEN scraps. We KNOW there are MORE! :o))

Linda said...

So pleased to see the start of RSC 2020 so I can enjoy seeing what blocks you are making. Love the Plus Postage Blocks. New idea for me, also the Rocky Glen ones which look quite fiddly. You have achieved a lot today.

Julierose said...

Fantastic block choices--loving that postage plus quilt block--hugs, Julierose

Cathy said...

Great blocks, as usual. When my scraps get below 2.5”, they usually go into crumb blocks or string blocks. The bitty pieces are too fiddly for me, so I admire your attention to (tiny) detail!

Jo said...

Wow you have been busy this week! So many lovely green blocks going on.

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

It is great to get back to RSC blocks. Your green ones are all lovely.

gayle said...

Yeah, don't ya just hate it when someone accidentally rolls a rotary cutter over your stuff? 8)
Love the blocks! I'm going to succumb to the lure of those wishing rings, I just know it...

Kate said...

Lots of pretty green scraps in pretty scrappy blocks. Happy scrappy stitching this year. You've got some fun projects to play with.

Quiltdivajulie said...

I agree that Rocky Glen is too fiddly. I've made two or three test blocks now with 1" squares (fin.) and I find them quite fiddly, too. I'm so happy with 1.5" (cut) strips. Always fun to visit and see what scrappy goodness you're sharing. Happy New Year!

Louise said...

Glad to see I'm not the only one who gives up on a block after making only a few. Sometimes they look better in my head than in fabric. Rocky Glen is a new one to me. I like the blocks you made, but I don't have to make 400 more them so my opinion is not what counts here :)

Emily said...

I can always count on you for a new earworm! Not my favorite song, but your quilt blocks look great!