Friday, January 24, 2020

Another Red, White, Blue Finish!

 It's a Finish!
It is made of red, white and blue orphan blocks
60 x 78

 Those Star blocks with a square in a square in the center are left over from a Quilt of Valor quilt I finished in July 2013.  The Star blocks are much older than that and were from a swap years before the 2013 finish. I sent the quilt to Alycia and a year later in 2014 saw a veteran wrapped in the quilt in one of her blog posts.   So, anyway, those Stars have been around a long time and I'm glad I finally found a good use for them.   The other Stars are some I made for a swap but decided not to send these particular Stars in because I figured out after they were made that I used sateen for the white and wasn't sure that fit the requirements of the swap.   I've also made several Happy Block quilts with patriotic fabrics and had some ten inch blocks left over that I threw in the orphan block box.  
 I filled in with a variety of other red, white and blue orphan blocks in different sizes. 



I quilted it with spirals on my DSM. I used natural colored thread on top and navy in the bobbin on that dark backing. 

This will be donated locally - probably to Humility Homes and Services


11 comments:

Julierose said...

I love how you are able to put all those blocks together in a whole piece that looks so lovely--nice work hugs, Julierose

---"Love" said...

What a great collection of patriotic fabrics! You did a great job getting them all together for a very pretty quilt! ---"Love"

Linda said...

Two red, white and blue quilts finished two days running. Amazing. Love this quilt, I’m sure it will be very happily received.

Sherrill said...

Looks great and always feels good to be able to use the blocks that got left behind!! Someone will feel the love and warmth wrapped around them.

Quiltdivajulie said...

Fantastic -- hooray for making those orphan blocks useful and in such a handsome way.

Marie said...

Love quilts like this - they have such interesting back stories.

Cynthia@wabi-sabi-quilts said...

Such a wonderful thing to do - quilts of valor. Great way to use those orphan blocks! Looks so great!

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

What a fun quilt - and all the memories that go with it!

The Joyful Quilter said...

What a great job you did bringing these random leftovers into a cohesive quilt top! Kudos on thinking outside the block. :o))

Anonymous said...

Nice work on the quilts.
But... um... well... there's a couple blocks that are reading as swastikas to my eye... I didn't notice them until I scrolled down to the 3rd photo. They are the red & white ones in the top row. I know it's not your intention, but a trick of the camera and/or my brain. Even weirder is that I look back at the top photo and they don't unless I focus on the center of the block.

Cathy said...

Way to go, finding a home for your orphans! It looks as though we’re both on an orphan adoption binge! (Wink).