Wednesday, January 8, 2020

Crumby Hourglasses

A couple of years ago I decided it was time to try to use up crumbs. I ended up making four quilts but I still had crumbs left.  I was thinking this year I need to concentrate on using crumbs again. 
I don't really enjoy making quilts with crumb block squares. I get bored. I like to use crumbs in different ways.  So I've been trying to decide on different ways to use them.  I'm making 12 inch nine patches with solids in red/white/blue.   So what else should I do with crumbs??? 

And then came the latest Ad Hoc Improv Prompt  - Hourglass.  You know how I just love challenges, prompts, games to move some scraps along. 

I decided to try some Crumby Hourglasses. I decided to make them of crumbs of one color and use a solid in a complementary color as the other fabric.   These ended up to be about 11 inches unfinished.   They were easy to make and I like them so I'm going to add them to my monthly list of Rainbow Scrap Challenge projects to make each month. If I make two each month I will end up with 24 at the end of the year and set 4 x 6 it will make a perfect sized quilt for one of the places I donate smaller quilts.  If I get the urge I may even make four blocks per month and end up with two quilts. 

 Here's the way I made them...Make a 12.5 inch square of crumb fabric. 
 With right sides together lay a 12.5 square on top of the crumb fabric and slice on the diagonal. Sew with 1/4 inch seam along the diagonal on each half to make two HSTs. 
 With right sides together, HSTs reversed but with seams going in the same direction nest seams and then cut on the diagonal. Sew those two seams together along the diagonal for two Quarter Square Triangles or Hourglass blocks. 




10 comments:

Quiltdivajulie said...

Fabulous!!

Monica said...

Lolol, we had a very very similar idea! 😂 Glad to know it looks good!

gayle said...

Hey, great crumby hourglasses! (Why does that sound so weird?)

Linda said...

Clever idea to use your green crumbs like this. The red solid contrasts really well with the green crumbs.

Louise said...

Great idea! I have a big batch of 8.5" crumb squares from last year's RSC. You're right that they are bit boring. Because of all the seams, a nice simple block like this is a good way to use them. I might be stealing this :)

Quilter Kathy said...

What a fun idea! We all like "games to move some scraps along"!

Vicki in MN said...

That is a great idea to dress up crumb blocks.

Vivian said...

Looks like a lot of Crumbly fun! And a two-for-one with RSC makes it even better. I'm inspired by the AHIQ prompt to dig out an old UFO that uses that block. Hope I can find it!

Cathy said...

Clever girl! Way to tame those crumbs!

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Super great idea!