Sunday, January 19, 2020

Finished!

 Patriotic Happy Blocks
58.5  x 78

Good thing I took this picture on Friday because since then we have had snow and ice. 
 These blocks have 4 inch centers and 2 inch sides and finish at 6.5.   A lot of these are from a long ago swap.  I belonged to an online swap group and this size of Happy Block in different themes was swapped several times a year. 

I quilted it on my DSM with vertical and horizontal straight lines. 
Backing and binding was this plaid fabric I bought several years ago when Hancock's went out of business. 

This is for a guy (Don) who used to work for my husband. My husband retired but Don still works at the same company.  My husband ran into him at the grocery store at the beginning of December and they chatted briefly. My husband suggested they meet for lunch the following week and catch up on old times.  My husband found out Don has recently been diagnosed with pancreatic cancer and his wife divorced him. Also he had to sell his house and he now lives in a small apartment and can barely afford the monthly rent because he can only work part time.  Then after lunch when Don went out to start his car it wouldn't start. My husband gave him a ride home and offered to pay for a tow truck but Don wouldn't accept the offer of any money.  My husband asked me if I'd make him a quilt.  When I asked what kind of quilt he would like my husband told me he's a veteran.  




18 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

the good old square in a square quilt pattern goes along so easily doesn't it and can be whipped up so fast - I'm not sure how many of these I have made over the years - good choice for your fabrics

QuiltGram said...

I am continuously happily surprise each time I find a ‘simple’ block pattern turn into such a beauty. At times I think quilts built upon intricate to designs captivate quilters so much that we tend to overlook the simple beauty in quilt patterns such as this block. For me, this quilt is such a great example of a ‘simple’ block and setting can be elevated to a point that it is so much more. Yup, know this one won’t budge from my memory that’s for sure. Again, for me, quilts like this harken back to our heritage of quilting. And with the added fabric choice, patriotic, it just enhances this feeling of greatness for me. And hats off to you for such a terrific fabric collection for this quilt. And for the finish.

Jeanne said...

Wonderful quilt and heart-tugging story.

Ann said...

It's a perfect quilt in both design and size for the recipient. What a sad story but I hope this brings him some happiness to know people remember him.

Connie said...

Sweet quilt, it looks like the perfect 4th of July picnic quilt :)

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

It is important when life isn't going well to remember that your life and your contribution matter and that you've made a positive impact in the world. My heart goes out to Don. Kudos to you to wrap him in a quilt and to your husband for staying in touch with him.

Louise said...

This is the perfect quilt for Don! One of the big benefits of making lots and lots of quilts is the ability to have a gift quilt either ready or almost ready to go when the need arises. The little Happy Blocks give this one so much variety; I'm sure he'll really love it :)

Quilter Kathy said...

I do hope this wonderful quilt brings some comfort to this fellow.
It's a very cheerful quilt!

Linda said...

How good that you had something waiting in the wings which could be turned into a wonderful quilt for your husband’s ex colleague. Both men will be so pleased with the gifted quilt. A slice of love and care for the poor chap suffering from pancreatic cancer. A happy bit at the end of a sad story.

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

This is a sad story. You hear this kind of story all the time. Gifting a quilt makes you happy and I'm sure receiving it will thrill him. One often wonders how to help people who refuse it, probably from pride. I'm sure his heart will warm each time he sees the quilt. That is a HUGE gift.
xx, Carol

Emily said...

I hope this will bring lots of comfort to Don. The quilt is beautiful!

Pamela Arbour said...

He is going to love it. Sometimes people don't know what comfort a quilt can actually give.

Carol E. said...

What a great quilt! Then it turned into a sad story .. however, it was good that your husband re-connected with Don and you have this opportunity to share a quilt with him. I hope he will accept help when he needs it. No one should be alone with all of that and expect to just handle it. I'm praying for Don.

QuiltGranma said...

Thank you for sharing the story and the quilt. There are so many in similar situations now days. Perhaps you could set up an account, if you have the funds, to help pay for Don's various bills without his knowing where it came from. Perhaps a gift card from … for a meal once a week? Anything to help him have a more comfortable end of life. Invite him to dinner. Up to you, just some suggestions. The quilt is beautiful!

Cynthia@wabi-sabi-quilts said...

A wonderful comforting gift for someone going through way way too much.

Kaja said...

Life can be hard, can't it? Poor Don, but hopefully your quilt will bring him a bit of cheer - you can't go wrong with red, white and blue.

Marei said...

Made me cry. Your quilt will let Don that somebody cares, and isn't that all we can hope for out of life?

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Ohhhhh I am so happy to know you - what a sweet gift for this man. Prayers for him.