Wednesday, January 29, 2020

Pondering Someone Else's Scraps

 I really enjoy sewing with scraps. It makes no difference if they are mine or someone else's. 
When I saw Alycia was giving away some 30s scraps I entered my name in the drawing and my name was pulled.  Lucky me! Said scraps recently arrived and I decided I should dig into them right away instead of put them on a shelf somewhere. 
 Most of the scraps look like that piece on the left.  If there is 2.5 inch in width I have been trimming them to 2.5 inches like the pieces on the right. 
Then I've been sewing them into 9 Patches. 

The remaining piece of the scraps are almost all the same size of wedge so I'm thinking I may use those and maybe that yellow solid to make some Half Rectangle Triangles (HRTs).  Or maybe not.  Not sure where it's all headed yet.  This is another one of those projects I work on for 15-20 minutes or so a day. I just can't seem to concentrate on one quilt at a time. 

12 comments:

Linda said...

Good idea to make 9 patches. You’re right to use the scraps straight away. That’s what I’m doing it’s the latest big bag of “scraps” I’ve been given. Otherwise they disappear into stash, never to be used.

Pamela Arbour said...

I’m like. I like scraps no matter who they belong to. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with. You usually work with smaller pieces

mangozz said...

What fun! I love to play with someone else's scraps. Congrats on the win!

Anorina @SameliasMum said...

Scraps are the absolute best and my favourite too. I love where this project is going and look forward to seeing more.

Quiltdivajulie said...

I just passed a huge bag of 30s reproduction strips cut in three different widths to a local friend who is collecting 30s. She was elated. Good for you for USING the scraps (like those nine patches a lot). The HRTs are a fun idea, too.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Oh I love how you are using them!! I knew someone creative could get more out of them!!!

Ann said...

Simple blocks work so well for scrap quilts. Nine patches and HSTs are great examples. And I know how you needed more fabric. ;-)

Connie said...

I never thought about having a scrap give-a-way, but what a grand idea. I know that I would love to work with someone else's scraps. It's just sound fun getting bits and pieces of "new to you" fabrics to work with :)

gayle said...

You can never go wrong with nine-patches!
Just before the holidays, my SIL dropped off some wedges just like yours except they're in Christmas prints. I'm still trying to decide what to do with them. I was thinking of either HRTs or HRTs with a narrow plain strip running down between them. Then maybe making a pinwheely sort of thing out of four of them? Like I said, still trying to decide. I'll be interested to see what you do with yours.

Cynthia@wabi-sabi-quilts said...

Very fun scraps for sure! I too love working with scraps.

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

I find it fascinating how some randomly cut scraps can be tamed into beautiful blocks. Your nine patch is great!

The Joyful Quilter said...

Love, love, LOVE other people's scraps!! Looking forward to seeing what becomes of Alycia's scraps.