Saturday, January 18, 2020

Green Two Inch Scrap Edition

Little Green Houses Made of Ticky Tacky
3 inch finished

Actually these houses are made of 2 inch scraps.   I have been making these off and on since 2018 and have hundreds of them. Maybe it's time to take an actual count and decide what size quilt I want.  They are quick and easy to make. There are instructions for making the Quilting Company Home Sweet Home Bitty Block  but I don't make mine following those instructions. I use the Easy Angle and Companion Angle ruler to cut pieces for the roof instead of using "flippy corners". 


 Wonky Stars
4.5 inch finished

I've also been making these little stars off and on since 2018. I started making them to use up those little waste triangles left over from using "flippy corners" and some 2 inch scraps.  Maybe it is time to count these too.  Or maybe I'll just keep on making them. 
 Sixteen Patch
6 inch finished

These also came from the 2 inch scrap bin. I think I started making these last year. I was going to combine them with an alternate block like the Broken Dishes blocks I've been making from 3.5 inch scraps but then changed my mind and decided to make a large quilt with just Sixteen Patches. 

Single Wedding Ring
7.5 inch finished

I started these blocks last year as another way to use 2 inch scraps. I haven't taken count of these either but I want to make a big quilt from these so I will continue to make these as a Rainbow Scrap Challenge project again this year. 

And that's it for the blocks I'm making from 2 inch scraps this year. 

 I sort most scraps by size and have 1.5, 2, 2.5, 3.5 and 4.5 inch scrap bins.  I've been working out of them for years and this year I hope to empty them all.  So when I finish making blocks each month in the Rainbow Scrap Challenge (RSC) color I have been cutting anything left in that color into squares. If there is not enough for a square I sew it into a strip to be used later on in a Chinese Coin quilt. 

Then next year if I need to make any blocks to finish any RSC project I will cut from my scrap chunks. I keep those all together regardless of size or color in a milk crate. 

So this 16 quart (why don't they just say 4 gallon?) bin of 2 inch scraps is what I hope will be empty by year end. 

And speaking of scrap chunks....
Double X Variation and Snowballs
4 inch finished

...I've been making these blocks since last year from scrap chunks because they require different sized pieces -- 2.5 and 1.5.   I always cut the pieces for these before any other RSC blocks so I can throw the remainder of the 1.5 and 2.5 inch strips into the appropriate scrap bin so those scraps are immediately available for use when I make my blocks that use 1.5 and 2.5 inch scraps. 

I only had that mint green piece of yardage in my stash to use for background so I guess I will make blocks until that piece of yardage is used up. 

Now I've made all my Rainbow Scrap Challenge blocks for the month and will patiently await next month's color. In the meantime I will work on assembling a top (or two) made from RSC blocks. Or maybe I'll work on quilting a top (or two) made from RSC blocks. 

19 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

you have so many RSC quilts going on! I hope you can make a dent - even with all the scrap quilts I make I never see much of a dent in them

Julierose said...

Love those bitty houses...so cute hugs, Julierose

Nann said...

If anyone can empty those scrap bins it's you, Cathy! The snowball/double x is an interesting combination. And the little houses are charming.

Mari said...

You have a lot of 2-inch scraps! It looks like you have a good plan to use them up, though. I love the snowball and Old Maid's quilt blocks. These are all going to be lovely.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I always love seeing your little houses - they are so fun in any color or print! Sewing the leftover, not square, pieces into coin strips is such a great idea, too. I certainly have plenty of those!

Deb A said...

So many neat blocks you are making from your scraps. Love the bitty houses.

Turid said...

What lovely blocks you've made. I think I have some house blocks in a box. Hm, I have to find them.

Linda said...

Decisions, decisions, decisions!
Which of your RSC blocks do I like best today? Toss up between Ticky Tacky houses & Wonky Stars ( you’ve reminded me I need to use those bonus triangles as wonky points for the stars).
What will you do for the rest of the month, put together RSC flimsies or quilt some already basted? Knowing you I expect you’ll do both!!!!
I have just reread your post just to look at the photos again.

Ann said...

Your little houses are always fun to see. They'd be useful in lots of places on a quilt even if you didn't make the whole quilt from them. Your double x snowball looks wonderful with aqua. Good to see it coming along every few months.

The Joyful Quilter said...

SEW many wonderful scrappy GREEN projects on the go!!

Quilter Kathy said...

So much scrappy fun... let me dig around in that fun bin!!

Sheila said...

Wow! I love all your wonderful blocks. So much inspiration.

MissPat said...

Lots of fun going on here. I started some Ticky Tacky houses last year, but somehow got sidetracked from them. I'll have to start up again when I get home at the end of March. I've also got to rethink how I sort my scraps as I have way too many to deal with and waste time going through them to find what I need.
Pat

Katie Z. said...

You have some very inspiring and tempting quilts started this year. It’s going to be so lovely to watch them develop!

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

I really love how you cut your work on quilts into month size chunks. I tried to do that with the yoyos I was working on but decided to keep going until I got tired of them. You have lots of inspiring blocks in the works.

Cathy said...

Thanks for another fun and inspirational post. I love all your blocks!

Pamela Arbour said...

It looks like there will be a lot of great looking quilts coming soon. Good luck on that bin of scraps. For some reason, it is very hard to reduce the scrap bin no matter how hard we try.

gayle said...

Your middle name is Inspiration, isn't it?
Really looking forward to that Double X quilt!

Gayle Bong said...

And I like the antique quilt. Making that will surely make a dent in your 4 gallon scrap box.