Saturday, January 11, 2020

Green Scraps - 2.5 Inch Edition

 I dug into the light and bright (and in a few instances dark) green 2.5 inch scraps this week. 
I made some Dakota Farmer blocks.  When I hurt my back a few months ago I went through some old magazines and found instructions to make the Dakota Farmer blocks in Bonnie Hunter’s Addicted to Scraps column in the Nov/Dec ’13 issue of Quiltmaker. But I didn't follow the instructions. I used 2.5 inch scraps instead of 2 inch per the instructions so my blocks finish at 8 instead of 6 inches. 
 I also made some Hourglass blocks - the final block for Block Lotto since it has come to an end.  Lucky me...I won 28 of those six inch (finished) Hourglass blocks so I decided to make more for a twin sized quilt.  The Hourglass and Dakota Farmer blocks are the only two blocks I'm making this year from 2.5 inch scraps. 
 One of my old Rainbow Scrap Challenge projects made with 2.5 inch scraps is a Plus block.  I haven't worked on these in a long time.  I dug out the pile of them and found that if I alternated light and dark backgrounds I only needed 10 more blocks for a small quilt 42 x 54 (7 x 9 layout).  So I made 10 blocks. 
 And now the blocks are ready for assembly according to that secret code. 
 I've been working on Sprout blocks off and on evidently since March 2016 according to my blog.  Since I was in the 2.5 inch scraps I decided to evaluate what I needed to start assembling these blocks. What you see above is what I needed.  
 So now these blocks are ready for top assembly. I'm thinking the top will end up to be 52 x 72 - a nice comfort quilt size. 


I'm going to try this year to rid myself of all the scraps in the 2.5 inch scrap bin. So I'm going to cut anything left over after I make my Dakota Farmer and Hourglass blocks into 2.5 inch squares. 

 And if a scrap is less than a 2.5 inch square then it goes into a strip. I've been making scrappy strips in various sizes for a couple of years now so at the end of this year I think I'll have a nice (and probably huge) scrappy Chinese Coins quilt. 

After I finished playing in all the light and bright green 2.5 inch scraps I picked out a couple of small chunks of green and made two Churn Dash blocks that finish at a big 13.5 inches. 

18 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

love all your greens!

Julierose said...

Great blocks--love those tiny Chinese Coins hugs, Julierose

Jeanne said...

Always fun and inspiring to see what you're up to!

Cathy said...

Your scribbled notes crack me up, because I do those too. But then I put them into a spreadsheet or else I might lose them. I was happy to see you’d won the Hourglass blocks (and my four are on the way to you). I’ll likely be adding those to my must make blocks later this year. They’re just so versatile! Great progress this week, Cathy!

Deb A said...

Love the notes left with the projects to tell us what the heck we were planning! Looks like you are close to a few finishes. So many fun greens you have hanging around in your sewing room.

Elle said...

Fun Fun Fun! I emptied my 2.5 box and bin last year and made 7 quilts adding only background or border if needed. I then started on my 2 inch. I'm excited to see how many projects come out of it!

Can we see the bin please? My bin was a 3 gallon size.

Happy 2020!

Sue SA said...

Love your Dakota farm blocks, I have been making these for years without having a pattern or a clue what they were called - just simply using up 2.5" HST cut from scrap. I am now making a second top from them, they are a great scrap buster. Now I have seen your churn dash blocks I have an idea for using up more HST in RSC, thank you!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Those Dakota Farmer blocks are just great, Cathy! I recognize the star shape, but would not have known they were called Dakota Farmer. I always like seeing what you're doing with the different sizes of scraps you keep!

Cheryll said...

Love the use of GReens... well done...xox

Quilter Kathy said...

Quilter's code... looks organized to me!
Can't wait to see yours crappy sprouts!

Louise said...

I'm sure Quilter Kathy in the comment above meant for the spacing of her letters to be slightly different. Sprout blocks probably do well with a bit of fertilizer, though. I do believe that your Chinese Coins quilt will be epic!

Linda said...

I always learn something new from reading your blog posts. This time it’s Dakota Farm Blocks. Another amazing number of blocks made and several flimsies on the horizon.

Kate said...

That's a lot of green goodness in your blocks this week. Looks like you are well on your way to a few scrappy finishes in the near future.

Pamela Arbour said...

Your greens are looking great. It's also nice to have a plan and you always seem to have good plans going!

The Joyful Quilter said...

SEW many Light/Bright GREEN projects on the go!!!

Susie H said...

I believe you have truly jumped into the green bin with both feet. Good work!

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

You are so organized. I went into my sewing room this evening to sew some green scraps and I got sidetracked with something new. But I think I finally decided on my last RSC block. I am keeping them to three designs this year.

Linda said...

What a nice variety of blocks and quilts-in-progress you have!
I just learned something from your post. I never thought about sewing my tiny bits into strips - duh! What a great idea, thank you!