Wednesday, January 23, 2019

It's a Finish! Sports Happy


Sport Themed Happy Blocks
40 x 60
Ready for giving or gifting. 



 I love novelty fabrics. Years and years ago when the grandkids were little I participated in a lot of novelty swaps so I could have a variety of novelties to use in I Spy quilts for them and my grandnieces and grandnephews.  I've used lots of the swapped squares but still have lots to be used.  Most squares are either 6.5 inches or 4 inches. Last year I decided to go through a lot of those squares and sort them into some themed groups and then make some kiddo sized quilts.  Last year I made a bunch of tops and this year I hope to quilt a bunch of tops and send the finished quilts out into the world. Maybe that will free up a little space in my sewing room. 


Happy Blocks are always a fun way to showcase novelties and use chunks of scraps. They are also versatile in that any size center and framing strips can be used to make a block any size you need.  In this case I used some 6.5 inch sport themed centers and 2.5 inch sides. 



I quilted it with some spirals. A kind soul sent me the sport themed backing fabric. The green binding was leftover from binding I made for a wheelchair quilt earlier in the month. 

for

10 comments:

Cathy said...

I am trying Happy Blocks this year, thanks to all your great examples! I think they’ll be a great way to bulldoze through some of my older or novelty/themed fabrics. I’m always learning things from you! Hope you’re staying warm through this blustery January!

Julierose said...

Love your "Happy Sports" themed quilt. I also LOVE novelties and keep on looking for unusual cooking, food, music, and ethnic ones...

I think I may have enough fruits to make a themed lap quilt--I love using those squares as the print really shows.
Thanks so much for sharing another wonderful quilt. I still say you are my quilt idol ;)))--both in your types of quilts and your amazing production ability..hugs Julierose

Linda said...

How lovely to have those sets of novelties on hand. They make great quilts. Love this Sports one, the back is perfect and you even used up the leftover green binding. A winner all round. I have used your Happy Blocks idea to make a few baby quilts. Never had enough of any themed fabrics but used whimsical ones plus spots, flowers etc and have loved the resulting quilts. Thank you for the inspiration!

Sue SA said...

fantastic easy pattern to show case those novelty prints, and sports is a good universal theme for boys and girls, love it!

MissPat said...

You've just given me another idea for donation quilt. I have a bunch of sports themed fabrics, mostly soccer, bought with the intention of making quilts for the grands, but then they switched from soccer to basketball. So happy blocks it will be.
Pat

Louise said...

That backing fabric is perfect! Another great, happy finish :)

---"Love" said...

Some kid somewhere someday is going to fall in love with that quilt! It will really be a hit! ---"Love"

Pamela Arbour said...

All right, this is more my speed fast and easy. You have some nice novelty fabrics in there.

mangozz said...

What a great idea to frame the novelties like that! That backing fabric couldn't have been more perfect.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Too cute!! and what a fabulous idea for novelty fabrics!!