Thursday, January 31, 2019

Church Window Hexagon Variation


The quilt is inspired by this vintage one c. 1825-1875 from the Quilter's Guild Collection.  It just so happens that I had previously bookmarked that quilt as one I would like to make. So with Temecula Quilt Company's prompting I am now making my version of that vintage quilt.  I've added it to my Rainbow Scrap Challenge projects and will make them each month in the color of the month.  That's why I have made red blocks for January and yellow for February.    I'm not following the cutting instructions found at Temecula but instead I am using 3.5 and 1.5 inch scraps to make mine as follows: 

 For this example I am cutting for 3 blocks with multicolored centers and corners and light sides and 3 blocks with light centers and corners and multicolored sides. 

So to begin with I gathered 3 different multicolored 3.5 inch scraps and 3 different light 3.5 inch scraps.  Scraps must be at least 3.5 x 5 inches. 
I cut one 2 inch and two 1.5 inch pieces from the 3.5 inch scraps. 

So as not to confuse I removed the fly fabric from the top of the stack because I want to fussy cut the fly for the center.  

 I cut a 2 inch square and a 1.5 inch square from the 2 inch piece. Those 1.5 inch squares will go into the postage stamp scrap box because they are extras.  I cut the two 1.5 inch pieces into 1.5 inch squares.  There's a tiny bit of waste but you know my waste goes into the compost pile or on garden paths so it's really not waste to me. 

So now we have our block centers and corners. We still need some sides. 
 I cut the sides from 1.5 inch scraps that are at least twelve inches long. 

The light centers and corners need multicolored sides and the multicolored need light sides so I gathered three multicolor and three light scraps. 
From each strip cut two 2 inch pieces and 2 four inch pieces.  (Yes, my scraps sometimes get pretty hairy).  
 Now that all pieces are cut the centers/corners and sides can be paired up and put in a baggie so they are ready for the next time I feel like sewing them together. 

That fussy cut fly is now paired up with some multicolored pansies. 

And that's another new start for 2019!

9 comments:

Sally Trude said...

That is a fantastic quilt top and a fantastic collection of quilts. Found out this was also remade in Kaffe's Heritage Quilts book after he showed the top in an exhibit. But what really made me happy was the display of an unfinished quilt!
And yes, I will now have to make one too but in taupe colors like Buddy.

Quiltdivajulie said...

Another marvelous scrappy project for your list of works in progress!

Mystic Quilter said...

Super scrappy! Endless possibilities for use of colour with this pattern.

Janie said...

Hi Cathy! Yes I saw Temecula Quilt Co quilt along 'Church Window' too and I like your measurements better than theirs.
I'm going to start sewing blocks using your method, with some improv piecing thrown in, and scrappy with reds for AHIQ challenge.
I was going to use some blocks I had made in white and reds, but I realized they're not quite what the AHIQ challenge called for.
Blair Stocker @ wisecrafthandmade.com has a pattern almost like Church Window but she calls hers, 'Nuts and Bolts'.

Glen QuiltSwissy said...

Yes, very nice rabbit hole...…..

Quilter Kathy said...

A great system you got going there!
I'm doing it as a RSC project too... can't wait to dig into the yellows!

Louise said...

Great block! Is it a new month already? I only managed to make one type of block for January, alas. With all my upcoming travel, I don't know when I'll catch up. But that's OK, plenty of other projects swirling around.

Kaja said...

I love the inspiration quilt!

The Joyful Quilter said...

Thank you for sharing your cutting plan. I think I need to try one of these adorable little blocks!!