Monday, January 20, 2014

Mod Mod Quilt Along


My first installment - Chevrons for Mod Mod QAL

Honestly, I really don't like most of the Modern Quilts I see.  I'm not even sure why there is a separate category for Modern Quilts. Nor have I even seen the same definition  for Modern Quilt on blogs where an attempt to define is made.  But, I do like Unique Quilts and I do like using up scraps.  I have lots of less-than-one-fourth-yard pieces of fabric I need to use up and get out of here before I break a leg tripping over the piles. 

And so, I'm participating in a Unique Mod Mod Quilt Along that Sophie of Block Lotto is hosting.  I'm sure the quilt sampler using this year's Block Lotto Blocks will prove to be Unique. 

 My quilt will be Queen Sized and the blocks will all be made in primary colors and their complements. I'm not going to buy any fabrics to make the blocks. Well, I may need some help in the orange department since I don't like orange but do have a lot of blue, it's complement.  I'm color challenged so figure all those primary/complement blends will play nicely together for me in one big colorful unique quilt. 

Mod-Mod QAL on the Block Lotto\\
Anyone can play.Check it out. Make a Mod Mod quilt. We can all have fun together. 

That's what is on my "Design Wall" (aka cutting mat propped up against wall with piece of batting wrapped around it) today.  There's lots of inspiration on Design Walls all over the land. If you take a peek at Design Wall Monday at Patchwork Times you will see what I mean. 

5 comments:

ratama said...

Love your chevrons. And it's great to work with scraps :)

Ellen said...

I do love scrappy! I look forward to seeing your version on the quilt.

Nann said...

The chevrons look good, Cathy. I have mixed feelings about Modern -- both the quilt designs and the fabrics. I like any fabric, of course, but it's hard for me to envision combining Modern prints with contemporary/traditional prints. (And I say "envision" because my stash is contemp/trad with only a few yards of anything that could be considered Modern.) LOL to myself, though: I'll bet I've got vintage fabrics in my stash that are "modern"--some Marimekko prints and some 1950's prints!....thinking of a quilt called "everything old is new again."

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

So far - I LOVE your colors - hope you do too ;-)

Angie in SoCal said...

Like it already. Love quilts with a lot of color.