Sunday, January 19, 2014

Slow Stitching Sunday


Today, and for a few minutes each evening this week after work, I'll be working on embellishing the seams where the blocks connect...

...on my Crazy Cravings lap quilt.  


I'll also be working on some of these butterflies. They are hand appliqued then blanket stitched and then finally the outlines and antennae are back-stitched.  I have finished 30 and thought I needed 48. But actually  a I need 54 of them in order to make... 

...a quilt like this one that I inherited from my grandmother which is falling apart. Somewhere along the line I think my aunt tried to repair by zigzag stitching around the butterflies. You can kind of see where the batting is falling apart also.   If I'm successful in completing my quilt I might attempt to do proper repairs to grandma's quilt. 

Are you doing some hand stitching today? If so link up to Slow Stitching Sunday at Kathy's Quilts. And, if not, then why not start a project after you view all the inspiration. 

9 comments:

Deanna W said...

Love these old quilts. I would treasure the quilt as it is and not do any repairs unless you are going to use it.I love looking at them in the state I got them...old and loved!!

Jeanne said...

The color placement on your Cravings is really nice -- everything mixed evenly throughout.
For your butterflies -- are they first done with a turned edge hand appliqued down, and then you're going around again with black buttonhole?
Jeanne

Debra said...

Love the Crazy Cravings. It is wonderful that you want to duplicate a quilt made by your grandmother - it will be such a wonderful tribute when you are done.

Renee said...

I enjoyed seeing your Crazy Cravings blocks on CQJP 2013 each month. It is great to see the blocks all together. What a fun quilt!

Carla A Few Of My Favorite Things said...

Love the setting your grandmother used on her butterflies! Do you intend to set yours the same way? And of course, I always enjoy seeing your crazy quilts.

Kate said...

Love the butterfly blocks. Your Grandmother's quilt is lovely, hopefully you can find a way to repair it.

Ivani said...

Pretty crazy stitchs. And I like also the butterflies. Your mom's quilt is a treasure. Happy stitching.

Quilter Kathy said...

Enjoy your lovely stitching projects!
I wonder about adding another good quality backing on that old quilt and requilting it?

Jill said...

Stitching in bits of time like after work will add up quickly. Enjoy doing the fancy stitches.