Sunday, January 12, 2014

Slow Sunday Stitching


In crazy quilt news...I've finished block 2 of Crazy Farm - my Crazy Quilt Journal Project for 2014. 

Every crazy farm needs a scarecrow.  (Note to self: doesn't look like I finished scarecrow pocket) And growing next to him is some crazy colored wheat (wheatear stitches). 

On the seam above the pigs I just did straight stitches thinking they might look like a fence.  You can see a poor lone strawberry. When I was thinking about seam treatments I was originally going to wind the strawberry runners up on the seam above it with some additional little strawberries but when I actually got around to the seam I forgot and instead added some bullion rosebuds because of the peach roses in that scrap of blue fabric.   One good thing about crazy quilting is there is no right or wrong way to do things, no pattern to follow...you can just go with the flow. 

Every crazy farm has tomatoes.  (On my real "farm" I grow Celebrity and a different heirloom each year and some cherry tomatoes.)  Seam above is fly stitch and lazy daisy and seam below is three rows of chain stitch. 

I crocheted some little flowers and gave them some french knot centers to imitate the daisies in the fabric.  I have lots of odds and ends of crochet cotton I've picked up from thrift stores so this is a good way to use those bits and pieces. 


This seam just has herringbone stitch that I did twice. First pass was in the lime green and second pass was in the darker green.  And I also added some french knots. 


Blocks 1 and 2 together. 
In other crazy quilt news I've got the rick rack stitched in the border on 2 sides. 

In embroidery news... I've got another fruit embroidered - Thursday pears.   Somehow I'm going to use all these embroidered days of the weeks fruits in my Tea Towel Challenge Quilt.  I think I have 3 fruits left to embroider. 

 Finally, in applique/embroidery news...Last week I had 10 butterflies appliqued. This week I've finished the blanket stitch around all 10 and now I need to ...

...finish up the other stitching.   After these I think I will have 32 butterflies and I think I need 48 in order to make a quilt like I inherited from grandma.  After I make my quilt I am going to try to repair hers. 

So that's it for my Slow Sunday Stitching projects.  Kathy's Quilts is host to the Slow Sunday Stitching linky party.  There's a lot of beautiful projects being worked on. You will miss out on them if you don't visit. 

7 comments:

Quilter Kathy said...

You have been very busy with your hand stitching! Love seeing all your close up photos, especially the crazy stitched blocks. Such beautiful work!
Thanks for linking up to Slow Sunday Stitching!

Carla A Few Of My Favorite Things said...

Oh wow! That scarecrow is amazing. Also love the boullion stitch, corn, think that it is the name. Beautiful stitches!

Terri said...

Love the crochet daisies!
Hugs

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Love how the 'crazy' is coming along and was thrilled when you showed the ric-rac in a corner - know I know how to turn those corners. The butterfly reminds me of one of my gr.grans quilts.

Jo said...

You are doing a great job with your crazies.
Pretty butterflies

Ellen said...

Oh my goodness...you get so much done!! I love the creativity with your crazy quilt.

Teresa in Music City said...

Such fun projects!!! I love crazy quilting but have never tried it myself. I have a few friends who are very good at it, and I just admire theirs. Now I can admire yours too :*)