Friday, January 17, 2014

Happy, Happy

Happy Butterflies
40 x 60
(See the Sunshine Online Quilt Guild blog  for more information and pictures, ways to donate and then join the Sunshine Yahoo Group.  The Sunshine Yahoo Group makes quilts for Quilts Beyond Borders and Wrap-a-Smile and share emails, photos, challenges, advice, and fun. )



Back to the quilt...well, this is also a UFO finish. You might get tired of all the Happy Block quilts you see me finish up this year from the bottomless box of Happies. 

These blocks started with 6.5 inch centers and have 2.5 inch sides. 

I quilted with freemotion flowers on my Plain Jane sewing machine.  I don't really like machine binding but it is recommended for these quilts.  I'm getting a little better at it but it's far from perfect. The binding was a piece of fabric I picked up at the thrift store.  

My second finish is Happy Cats. It's also 40 x 60 and going to Wrap-a-Smile. 

These Happy Blocks started with 4.5 inch centers, 2.5 inch sides and finish at 8 inches. 

I picked up the gingham for the backing at the thrift store also. I think I have enough for two quilt backs.  The binding was fabric left over from the Happy Butterfly backing. 


I also freemotion quilted this one on my plain Jane sewing machine with some wonky concentric squares. 




8 comments:

Ellen said...

Great quilts for a good cause. I love the butterflies!

genie said...

What a wonderful charity...looking at these quilts and thinking of all you are doing for these special children warms my heart. This is such a special and love filled thing to do. Any child seeing one of your quilts will definitely be Happy Happy. genie

Dasha said...

I have several of those cat fabrics. What a great way to use them!

Deb@asimplelifequilts said...

I won't get tired of seeing these ever... One of my favorite blocks! I'll be digging into my drawer later in the year.

Val's Quilting Studio said...

I love these two quilt! THanks you for sharing the measurements as I think these would also make great EYe Spy quilts! LOve your butterfly and cat themes a ton. I plan to make one of these as a scrap buster!!

Lynn said...

I think this is a great pattern and your choice of fabrics really makes them sing. Lovely to see and how nice to know a child will receive one.

Anonymous said...

lovely quilts. congratulations on sewing for a worthy cause.
Kathleen Mary
http://kathysnest32.wordpress.com/
cozykoza32a@gmail.com

Sandy Panagos said...

What great quilts, and what a great cause! Your quilting is really nice, too!