Sunday, February 19, 2023

Using More Reward Points (A New Start)

I needed a break from all of this month's hearts, pinks and other sweet stuff that has been the theme here in my sewing room so I made some 3 inch finished Nine Patches in civil war reproduction fabrics. 

I'm going to make this quilt that I saw on the Temecula Quilt Company blog from the early 1900s (maker and region unknown).   Sheryl is calling it Whirl and making it by hand and welcomed others to sew along.   I'm not going to approach the making of the quilt the same way she is - from the center out so I won't really be sewing along.  I'm first going to make a whole bunch of little nine patches and then assemble the quilt in sections.   I really like the quilt because it is vintage and it is unusual. 


                                 I started out by cutting up a bunch of small chunks of civil war reproduction fabrics into 1.5 inch strips and I'll strip piece some nine patches as leader/enders. 

This year I want to try and finish up lots and lots of UFOs. I'm going to try assigning a theme of the month in order too motivate me to move UFOs that fit that them forward. January's theme was KIDS! KIDS! KIDS! and I moved forward 20 UFOs that fit that theme plus 2 others.  I also told myself that this year for every 5 finishes I could reward myself with 1 new start. So in January I earned 4 reward points.  Of course this is just a game of solitaire and the rules may change at any point. 



So now I have 1 point left to use on new starts AND if I finish just one more quilt for a total of 25 year to date then that's worth another point! 

Now back to this month's theme of Hearts and Flowers and the Rainbow Scrap Challenge color pink. 


 

9 comments:

Chantal said...

I love the quilt Sheryl started and I commented that it's funny she started it in the middle. What I see are four quadrants joined together by a little white square. It might be easier to do it this way, no? Anywho! Enjoy the process. ;^)

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Whirl is a fascinating design and will be beautiful in your Civil War fabrics! I often let myself start a new project after finishing ONE, so I think you're well within the parameters there, lol!

Linda said...

Love your Reward Points motivation and of course being you, it will happen. I’m sure you enjoyed the little break from pink!

Pamela Arbour said...

I am always impressed with your organization of projects. That whirl is starting to look good. I love the civil war fabrics! I need a nap after reading your posts! LOL I wish I had the energy that you have.

Quiltdivajulie said...

I saw that quilt on TQC's site - good for you for going at it your own way. I wondered when you would need a break from all that pink (grin).

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Love your point system!!!
THis is going to be a really cool quilt!!!

Nann said...

You deserve the reward! I think that Marianne Fons made a version of that design.

gayle said...

I've been intrigued with that quilt as well. Officially I'm not making it, but I'm so in the habit of making little nine patches for my Jack's Chain that I've probably inadvertently started it anyway...

Julie in GA said...

I've seen photos of this quilt before and been quite intrigued by it, but never consider making it myself (until now!) I wonder if it would work as a Rainbow Scrap Challenge project?