Sunday, February 26, 2023

The Last Castle Wall Block

Smitten
63 x 81

It's a top! 

This month the theme in my sewing space has been Hearts and Flowers. I challenged myself to move UFOs forward that fit that theme. You may or may not remember my blog post at the beginning of the month where I pondered what to do with three very old super sized Castle Wall blocks.  Well, now its the end of the month and all three blocks are out of the box and in quilt tops.  This last block was made in 2014 so it's about time I guess. 

Actually this quilt was inspired by a vintage c. 1890-1900 quilt top that Mary Elizabeth Kinch blogged about in 2018.  I've had it on my list of "want to makes" ever since I saw it. I have to say my version is a bit wilder and more colorful. 

I used lots and lots of scraps left over from making lots of other tops this month with valentine fabrics. I also threw in some scraps with birds and roses since those were in the Castle Block. 

The center section has lots and lots of 2 inch squares. 

And then there's 3.5 inch squares...

...and some 6.5 inch squares...

...and finally there are some 3.5 x 9.5 inch rectangles. 

And sew on...


 

12 comments:

Julie in GA said...

That is a beautiful way to use your last Castle Wall block! Just a bit wilder and more colorful? Your wild combination of fabrics is what makes it so fantastic!

The Joyful Quilter said...

Your quilt is wilder and more colorful? I am SEW unsurprised, Cathy. Personally, I think it's wonderful!!

Astrid said...

What a fabulous quilt Cathy! Love what you did with the last Castle block, and the scrappy look!

Sylvia@Treadlestitches said...

Wow! This quilt is AMAZING! All the wonderful color and variety of sizes, and that Castle block in the middle. The antique quilt is nice, but I like yours much better!

Quiltdivajulie said...

Fantastic! What a great quilt top - are you maybe going to keep this one?

Linda said...

So pleased you turned this last block into a flimsy. I had hoped that when I read your post of 14th February. So bright and colourful. Where on earth do you find all these pink scraps from? All finished up now?

Kim said...

Oh, I love wild and colourful in a quilt. How beautiful your flimsy is! The explosion of colour and pattern is a delight to my eyes!

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

It is gorgeous Cathy! What’s great way to use that block. I will be filing this idea way.

Thanks for sharing with oh Scrap!

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

What a great setting for that super sized castle block! All done!

Mystic Quilter said...

A great way to use the last block as the centre of the quilt. You have a super collection of red/pink fabrics in this quilt and the pops of green here and there are perfect.

karenbbsnow said...

Love it !!!

audrey said...

What a great looking quilt! It's A LOT to take in, but so much fun to see in comparison to your inspiration quilt. What fun to make.:)