Monday, February 20, 2023

Hearts and Hands


It's a top!
Hearts and Hands
54 x 69

My 17-year-old granddaughter Kayla passed away unexpectedly in January 2022 from "probable cardiac arrhythmia". Several members of the Sunshine Online Quilt Guild sent me some Heart Blocks and some Hand Blocks as a show of their sympathy and support. 

I've had the blocks in a box for over a year. Since this month in my sewing space has mostly been devoted to Hearts and the color pink I decided it was about time to deal with the blocks and get them sewn into a quilt for me. 

Over the past year I've looked at the blocks several times but was never sure I had the energy to get blocks in all different colors to play nicely together. The Sunshine folks must have had a lot of fun making the blocks -their unique personalities shined through on those Hand blocks! 👍 As I received them I wrote their name in marker next to the hand so I wouldn't forget. 

So, to make them all get along I first added a coping strip in a very colorful tie dyed fabric I had on hand 😀.   Then I sprinkled in some Friendship Stardust ⭐🤩 and made 4.5 inch Friendship Stars in some very colorful fabrics alternating solid and print backgrounds.   Then I had to make 3 Heart Blocks 💑 to add to the ones I received in order to have enough for the top and bottom borders. 




Sadly, that hand with the lace cuff was made by Carol who also passed away rather unexpectedly in December 2022. 

I am so glad I have this top assembled now. I just need to decide on a backing and get it quilted. 

I get by with a little help from my friends.

And sew on...

 

11 comments:

Ivani said...

So precious, Cathy!

Kathleen said...

oh Cathy. I never thought those blocks would go together harmoniously. But you did it... amazing. Well done. Kathleen

gayle said...

Such a tribute to love and friendship!

BrendaLou said...

I couldn't remember my block until I saw it... know that each block was sent with love, compassion and understanding. I unexpectedly lost my first born daughter in her 20s. My heart grieves with you and am happy to know you e made your quilt. I pray it will be a joy to you in the future.❤️❤️❤️

Pamela Arbour said...

What a treasure. All of the blocks look like they were made specifically for that quilt.

Linda said...

This is lovely a wonderful tribute to your love for Kayla and your supportive, thoughtful friends. What a great idea. Love the way you have added to it and assembled it. It will be a super reminder for you to keep for ever.

Quiltdivajulie said...

You did a fabulous job with this - it is so cohesive and colorful and very, very meaningful. A very special quilt indeed!

Magpie Sue said...

What a cheerful quilt! Quilters are some of the best people. I love how this came together; well done!

Mystic Quilter said...

Oh Cathy, you have a stunningly beautiful quilt here, congratulations!

Linda Swanekamp said...

An awesome quilt,totally unique and meaningful. You did a huge lift to make this a quilt.

Cathy said...

What a beautiful gesture from friends. The quilt is vibrant and meaningful and I bet will give you a measure of comfort. xoxo