Saturday, February 18, 2023

A Parade of Pink

Pink is the Rainbow Scrap Challenge (RSC) color of the month so I've been using up lots of pink scraps and I think now this is the end of the pink scraps although I do have some larger scrap chunks that are more than a 6 inch strip and less than a fat quarter (FQ) that will go back in the drawer for now. 

Above are my parts for another Kid Row quilt. This one will contain 3 rows of Kids (9 x 12 inch blocks) and two rows of 9 inch Ohio Stars (fav block of friend who passed away in December) and two rows of 3 inch Snowballs. The background is gray and the colors of scraps used in this one will be pinks, reds, aquas and purples. I figured how many of blocks of each color I need and these are the pink blocks. 

Old Italian (aka X blocks) that finish at 3 inches.

These start with 5 inch squares and I use the tutorial at My Joyful Journey. These are made as a stack, cut, shuffle type of block. I start with a set of 6 squares and alternate the RSC color of the month with other colors so I had a stack of pink and blue, pink and red and light pink and dark pink. I want to make a big quilt so I'll probably be making these 3 inch blocks for a couple of years. I started them last October and have been using 5 inch squares I've cut from scraps over the years as well as a couple of charm packs I've won or been given. 


10 inch Monkey Wrench Blocks

I make these with 4.5 inch and 2.5 inch scraps and have been making them since about the middle of last year. It's also the block I make when sorting scraps or have leftovers if I come across scraps enough in those sizes of pieces to make them.   In about October of next year I'll make all the blocks into donation quilts. 

Monkey Wrench Blocks 
7.5 inches

I'm making Monkey Wrench blocks from scraps in three different sizes 10 inch, 7.5 inch and 5 inch. 

Turning smaller blocks into bigger ones. 

Then I worked on my big pile (300+ ) of 3 inch finished of Square in Square blocks made in past RSC years. I turned some of the pink ones into 6 inch Stars and some into 6 inch Happy Blocks.  I was thinking I would make two separate quilts but then I saw how they looked together so decided I could probably make at least 2 twin sized quilts and maybe a smaller one with the blocks alternating. 

I've also been cleaning out some boxes of HST pieces and parts and using them as leader/enders. With some of the 2 inch HSTs I've made little 3 inch Broken Dishes blocks. Now I'm turning those little Broken Dishes blocks into some scrappy 7.5 inch Squared Away blocks. 

Then I turned some 4 inch Four Patch blocks into 6 inch Economy Blocks.  Most of the Four Patches were in the Parts Department - some given to me and some I've made in the past. 

For the side pieces I cut two 4 inch squares on the diagonal.  I'm using red and blue Four Patches in a red, white and blue quilt so I guess most of the rest of the colors of Four Patches will go into this quilt - yellow, orange, aqua, purple like in the mixed color floral fabric.  I'll do something different someday with the green, black and brown ones. 

Then there's some Indian Hatchet blocks (4 inch), a couple of Broken Dishes (3 inch for maybe another Squared Away block in the future), Windmills (4 inch), Snowballs with white corners (3 inch) to be the alternate block to some light cornered 3 inch Nine Patches that have been around for ages.   And then any 2 inch and 3.5 inch pieces less than a square were made into Chinese Coin strips. 

3 inch Bow Ties and oops one needs to be fixed. (Can't believe I ironed it like that). 
 Some miscellaneous 2.5 inch HSTs for the Parts Dept. and a 4.5 inch Chinese Coin strip. 

And finally some squares for my bins of squares - sets of four 2.5 and 2 inch squares go into the Monkey Wrench workbox. The five inch squares will be used in the future to make more Old Italian blocks. The 1.5 x 2.5 rectangles go into the Lego workbox. 

And sew on...


 

14 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I like those X blocks

Julie in GA said...

Wow, you have so many wonderful sets of scrappy blocks in the works! I would have a hard time keeping track of them all. I love the way you used your square-in-a-square blocks as the center of two different kinds of blocks.

cityquilter grace said...

oh my a perfectly pretty parade of pinks!

scraphappy said...

Those cut and shuffle x blocks are adorable. Everything tiny is always so much sweeter.

Linda Swanekamp said...

I love the x blocks tiny, but when I try they won't iron flat. I love to look at all your blocks. Makes me fall in love with them all over again. Seeing blocks in different values of one color are color energizing.

Juliana said...

What fun!! This is a total celebration of the color pink! I will look forward to seeing wonderful pink quilts made from all these parts at some point in the future.

Sara said...

You had LOADS of fun with pink already this month. The little girl blocks are especially cute. It reminded me of a wall hanging a group of us made for a friend's retirement. We each made a paper doll block, and signed our names. The wall hanging is still hanging in her house, even after nearly a dozen years.

Quilter Kathy said...

So many pretty pink blocks! I love the light blue and pink combination in the X blocks! And the kid blocks are so sweet!

Linda said...

SO MANY blocks! All gorgeous. The paper doll blocks have to be my favourite. 👍

Jenny said...

Whew!! You are hard to keep up with!

grammajudyb said...

Yowza! A plethora of pretty pink! Especially like where the Row quilt is going! And the square in a square blocks turned into stars and happy blocks are going to be amazing!

The Joyful Quilter said...

Fabulous batch of PINK blocks, Cathy!!

Pamela Arbour said...

Wow! You have really been busy in pink! Great job. Loved all of them.

Pat at Bell Creek Quilts said...

awesome blocks! I especially like the little girls!