Friday, December 9, 2022

Backstories -- A Finish!



Backstories
63 x 81
It's a finish! 

I call it backstories because it is made from a box of quilt BACK trimmings. And all those BACK trimmings all remind me of the STORIES of finished quilts. BACKSTORIES. 

Well, the pattern is called Interweave.  When I purchased the pattern it said that it would make a quilt 65 x 71. I like my donation and gift quilts a little longer - closer to 60 x 80- so I was doing the math to figure out how to lengthen the quilt a little. That's when I discovered that the pattern made a quilt 60 x 65 inches. Ugh! and Darn it! 

Well, as you can see on my last post about Backstories in October 2020, I did write to the pattern designer and let her know and she did reply; however, unless she has actually changed the pattern instructions she still declares the pattern makes a quilt 65 x 71.  So be aware of this if you decide to buy the pattern. 

I did end up doing the math to lengthen my quilt and to make it a wee bit wider.  I guess my brain was meant to do a little bit of exercise once in awhile. 

It's an eclectic mix of mostly backing fabric trimmings accumulated over a period of years. I quilted it on my DSM simply with vertical lines that were not evenly spaced in a neutral thread. 

The binding is scrappy too. And it came from the current box of backing trimmings.  I still like to sew bindings down by hand unless the place I donate suggests machine stitched binding. 

The back is wild and crazy. 

The trimmings are now in the banker's box that is overflowing with quilt back trimmings. 

So it's probably time to make Backstories II. 
I've done the math and revised my pattern!

And sew on...



 

14 comments:

Kat Scribner said...

That's a great quilt, Cathy. I really like it. It looks like it was done strippy style, but maybe partials. Great finish!

Julierose said...

I love your "backstory" on "Backstories" quilt;))) I think this came out beautifully==nice work hugs, Julierose

Linda In UK said...

A fabulous quilt! Good job you are good at maths. Quilt backing is super cheerful. What a delightful gift for donation.

Elle said...

Your creativity has no limits nor end. Lovely use of those trimmings!!!!!

Jenny said...

This may be a "something out of nothing" quilt but all the colours go together so nicely. Wel, done it's hard to keep up with you and all your projects!

Quiltdivajulie said...

I love this - I have the interweave pattern but have never used it. THAT is going to change forthwith to use up my leftover 2.5" strips and bindings!

Turid said...

Such a bright and happy quilt. I love that kind of quilts.

Nann said...

What really catches my eye is the reversal (lights/darks) in the center. That adds a lot of interest. Great story for the name, too.

audrey said...

What a great use of your backing fabrics scraps! Love how this turned out and how annoying to have the pattern be that much wrong. Hate stuff like that.

Elizabeth V Kelbaugh said...

Fabulous scrappy goodness. Great job!

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

That is a fun one!!! And what a great name!
Glad you were able to do the math to get it to your right size!

Quilter Kathy said...

I love it! A great scrappy quilt pattern!

The Joyful Quilter said...

SEW much fun when there's an interesting story to go along with a quilt! Thanks for sharing and best of luck on Backstories II.

gayle said...

And very good backstories indeed!