Monday, December 5, 2022

(S)Crap Processing: Old Bags


I had a bunch of bags of bags of bags of stuff in a box of stuff.  I decided to go through them all and empty them. No, not into the trash! 

One bag held a bunch of Stars...

...as well as some sets of star points and centers.  I'm not even sure how old these blocks are. I don't even have them on my UFO list. But I guess I'm going to keep these in that bag and put them in my stack of things to work on next. 

Some of the bags were passed on to me by other folks and I put baggies of stuff I receive into a bigger bag to be sorted later. Later is now.  I found some squares that I just need to put into my squares container. 

Miscellaneous blocks to be filed away. The parts were in a baggie for the little purple sixteen patches so I assembled those.  The parts were there for a couple of the four patches along with some four patches so I finished up those. Some of these will go into the block orphanage but some of these blocks like the little nine patches have a bin or box of their own. 


There was a baggie with parts for strips I make for Chinese Coins so I sewed those together. And there was a little baggie of parts for Bow Ties that I made. There's a few neutral bricks to file away and there's some "flower parts" I can use with the crumb flowers I'm making so those will get filed into a project box. 

And then there's all sorts of other orphan blocks and wonky HSTs to file away. 

It's always kind of fun to go through old stuff. 

And now I am left with a lot of empty old bags! Well, except for the one with the Stars I'm going to work on. 

And sew on...



 

10 comments:

Quiltdivajulie said...

No wonder you are able to make truly scrappy quilts! Yes there are a lot of bits from those bags, but seriously what treasures for a scrap quilt maker!

Elle said...

Oh what fun! Like you, I do like to know what I have so baggies and baggies don't work for me either.

Happy stitching!

Ada Plouvier-Kopitopoulou said...

Going through old stuff is fun! I discover pieces of fabric I had completely forgotten about! Maybe it is time for me too, too start sorting out some boxes with stuff!

Linda said...

Treasure trove! I would be equally excited to find and look through those bags of scraps, parts and blocks. Love those stars with their vibrant colours. Well, I would wouldn’t I, as a person suffering from Star blocks obsession!

Ivani said...

How fun!!! It will be nice seeing the quilts you will make using all those old scrap blocks and parts.

Quilter Kathy said...

I have been doing the same thing here! it's amazing what fun fabrics and old UFO's you can find!

mangozz said...

Fun going through old forgotten projects, but then I get really overwhelmed, especially this time of year.

Ann said...

I usually throw all my leftovers in with the scraps. There are a few in a separate box because they had a plan at one time. This method looks more fun. Enjoy yourself.

gayle said...

Buried treasure! What fun!

Vivian said...

Going through those bags is like going through the back of your pantry --- great to see what future quilt dishes you can make from all of that! My MIL holds her scraps for me and I do the same things with hers. You have a great organization system too.