Saturday, December 10, 2022

So What Was In That Box?

Monkey Wrench Blocks
5 inch finished.


Well, now I know the answer. 


First I made Monkey Wrench blocks and ended up with 31 of them to add to my collection.  I combined some of the colored pieces with some of the neutrals in the box, cut HSTs with the Easy Angle ruler and made four identical HSTs. The other 1.5 inch squares came out of my Monkey Wrench work box where I have sets of 4 neutrals as well as different colors. 

About mid year I started making Monkey Wrench blocks in 3 different sizes - 5, 7.5 and 10 inch. I figured the blocks would use any size of scrap. Then next year when I have big piles of them or I'm tired of making them or I run out of scraps I will make the blocks into different donation quilts. 

I will also move this block forward into next year as a Rainbow Scrap Challenge (RSC) project and make a few each month from any scraps in my scrap bags sorted by color. I'm trying to reduce the scraps sorted by color down to just scrap chunks - pieces larger than six inches in width and less than a Fat Quarter (FQ). 

Next I made Broken Dishes blocks that finish at 4 inches. 

I paired two colors together and cut the HSTs with my Easy Angle ruler. 
I added 26 Broken Dishes blocks to my collection. I really haven't taken count of these. Again, I will continue making these into next year as a RSC project and then when I see a big pile of them I will turn them into a donation quilt or two. 

16 Windmill Blocks that finish at 4 inches. 

This is another block I started making mid year.  I use 2.5 inch or 1.5 inch scraps to make them. I will continue to make these in 2023 as another RSC project. I also make most of these blocks when I am sorting old scraps, am given scraps or have leftover scraps from another project. I'm trying to use my scraps as they happen so have lots of different blocks in the works. 

Then I cut: 
1.  I cut sets of four identical 2.5 inch squares for my Monkey Wrench work box. Those can be used in 10 inch Monkey Wrench blocks along with some 4.5 inch HSTs.  I also use them to make Indian Hatchet blocks.
2. I cut sets of 2  identical squares. Someday I might make some Four Patches with them.  I store these in a 2.5 inch squares box.
3. Single squares.  I store these in a 2.5 inch squares box.
4. 1.5 x 2.5 inch rectangles. I use these to make 18 patches or Lego blocks. I store them in my Lego workbox and make a Lego block whenever I get a bunch of them cut. 

After I cut the squares I pulled out a lot of the more colorful ones and made more blocks. 



Square in Square blocks that finish at 3 inches. 

I had to cut some white on black 2.5 inch squares on the diagonal to make these. 

I've been making these for quite awhile (maybe a couple of years?) as a RSC project.  This round I made 135 of them. Then when I looked at how many I already had in my collection I found I had 183 of them. Well, I was thinking I don't like making these all that much because I don't like blocks that need to be trimmed to size. A few each month was tolerable but 135 at one time kind of burned me out on them. So I was kind of excited to see that now I have 318 chips to play with. I was thinking that I could make 3 different quilts with them. 
1. Alternate with 3.5 inch squares I have already cut in my 3.5 inch squares box. (child sized donation quilt)
2. Make into 6 inch Happy Blocks with colorful 2 inch sides. I think I will add that as a RSC project and use scraps for the sides in the color of the month. (adult sized donation quilt)
3. Make into 6 inch Economy Blocks. I think to do that I need to cut two squares 4.5 inch on the diagonal. Again, a good idea to continue on with this as a RSC project. (adult sized donation quilt)

Then I took some of those 1.5 x 2.5 inch rectangles I cut and made some 18 Patch Blocks. I've been making these for awhile and think I now have 54 blocks. I think an adult sized quilt would be best with these so I guess I'll need to continue making these. 

I also made a Chinese Coin strip with any scraps left that were greater than .5 and less than 1.5 x 2.5.  I sure have a lot of those Chinese Coins strips in different widths. One of these days I'm going to have to make a Chinese Coins quilt. 



That left me with a few neutral pieces. I put those in a bag and put them into my drawer of neutral scraps. 

And now my box is empty! 

And sew on...


 

17 comments:

Elle said...

AMAZING! You are simply amazing. I love your commitment to emptying that box and giving yourself and us a visual and numerical accounting of it's contents.

LOVE IT!

Linda In UK said...

Phew! I wouldn’t have had a clue as to how to tackle this box of scraps and come up with the logical and organised routine you devised. So many stashes of blocks to turn into wonderful quilts. Go, Cathy!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Fun to read how you cut and organize all your scraps! You must have really had a marathon sewing session making all of those Chips blocks - that would burn me out, too. I need to learn how to make the Lego blocks - I seem to have lots of small strips, like 1.5 x 3 that would work for those. Is that a Klein Meisje tutorial?

Sharon Kwilter said...

Good job on making so many scrappy blocks. It looks like your ready for a lot of finishes.

maggie fellow said...

I can't imagine emptying a box before I would get distracted. Great job

Anonymous said...

Love your work and creativity and am amazed and inspired by your organization.

Anonymous said...

Kathie Z in Utah

Quilter Kathy said...

It's amazing what you can create from a box of scraps! WoW!

Jenny said...

I really am amazed at what you power through, making piles of this little block, and that little block! You really think and consider the best use of your little strips and squares.

Susie H said...

So many possibilities from a box of scraps. Proof positive right here

mangozz said...

I wish that I could be as productive as you are. If I had to work through a box of scraps, I wouldn't be able to decide on what to do with them, what blocks to make, what sizes to cut, etc. It would be too overwhelming. Those colorful square in a squares with the black and whites are adorable, but making enough for a quilt? No way!

The Joyful Quilter said...

It sounds like you were a quilter on a mission, Cathy. The evidence is in that now empty box!! Incredible scrap processing.

Pat at Bell Creek Quilts said...

congrats on an empty box! feels great, right?! and so many fun blocks! There always seem to be more in a box of fabric than I think..lol

Nann said...

That flat rate box just kept on giving! Yes, trimming can be tedious (I write from recent experience).

gayle said...

Look at you go! Turning scraps into fun seems to be your superpower!

Judy Nichols said...

I really appreciate your scrap process posts. It gives me many ideas and inspiration for dealing with my own scraps. Please keep these posts coming!

Sandy Panagos said...

wow! That box was full of magic!