Wednesday, December 7, 2022

It's A Top! Cherry Baskets


Cherry Baskets
It's a top!
64 x 86

This is a traditional block called Cherry Basket.  I made 15 inch blocks and used the instructions from my Ladies' Art Company Block Tool.  I used cherry themed fabrics for the basket and rick rack for the handles. I used a variety of different reds and dark pinks for the backgrounds because I didn't have enough of any one red/pink solid. 

For side setting triangles I made several 22.5 inch blocks out of 2.5 inch cherry fabrics and red solids and cut them on the diagonals. 

I think this is the third quilt I've made with cherry themed fabrics. Now I think the rest of the fabric left will go toward a pieced back and after that the cherries will join the other fruity fabrics in the stash. 

And sew on...

 

16 comments:

Linda said...

Your Cherry Basket quilt blocks have come together beautifully in this top. A real blaze of colour.

Nancy said...

I love it, and not only because I love reds! It looks so happy and cheerful. It's sure to bring smiles to the faces of everyone who sees it.

Linda Swanekamp said...

The color combos remind me of a Gwen Marston quilt. Nice work!

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

This one went together pretty fast. Any quilt with red is a pretty quilt. I can't even imagine how many cherry fabrics you must have had.

Julierose said...

Cherry Baskets is such a lovely vintage looking piece--wonderful work on this
hugs, Julierose

Mystic Quilter said...

Stunning!! I love the cheery reds as the background for your colourful baskets. 15" blocks are a good size to show off the baskets.

Anonymous said...

I love so much about this quilt! . . especially the multiple red backgrounds and the pieced side-setting triangles. Thanks for all the great inspiration!

Beth H said...

Wow! This quilt is so striking! The various reds and pinks are not at all what one sees when they first see the quilt. the first thing seen is Oh! Vivid color!
I love that you constructed 121-patch squares and then cut them in half. My first quilt was a self designed octagonal tree skirt. I made 16-patches and cut them in half, too. I did not know any other way.
The triangles contrast and compliment the basket bases quite well.

gayle said...

WOW! That's all I've got - WOW!

Michelle said...

What a fabulous finish! This quilt is soooo cheerful.

Nann said...

Did you draw the handle placement and attach the rick rack, or did you free-hand / free-form sew it down? I love the baskets and the bright red backgrounds!

Jenny said...

Another lovely top. It's a clever idea to use fiction rac for handles, saves you from having to make and stitch bias handles. This is a lovely vibrant quilt top, cherry ripe!

Jenny said...

Should have been ric rac, stupid spell check thinks it knows best!

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

What a great quilt!!! Love the Cherries!!!

Karmen said...

So adorable!

The Joyful Quilter said...

I'm not typically a huge fan of red, Cathy, but this quilt top is awesome!! (I know it might be a while, but...) I'll be looking forward to seeing the completed quilt. Congrats on finishing up the flimsy!