Thursday, December 15, 2022

Crooked Mile

I had some small pieces of fabric left over after I made my Easy Sunday quilt top in August.  I decided to do something with them. I had been looking through a book by Kathy Doughty at the time and came across a couple of quilts I made (Red Center and Fractured) in the book. Those quilts are made with 4.5 inch unfinished units and I'm not sure what they are called. Anyway, I decided to make some with my Easy Sunday leftovers and then make a rail fence type quilt. There are no instructions in her book for making a quilt like that but I figured out two 5 inch width strips of fabric would make 18 units which would be enough for two blocks.   In order for them to make a zig zaggy type rail fence I figured out I would need an A block and a B block if I was going to use 9 units to a block instead of 12. 

So I made A and B blocks with my leftover fabrics and ended up with about 14 blocks. Oh, that's not enough for a quilt but that's all the leftover fabrics I had that would yield a 5 inch strip of fabric. 

The blocks finish at 12 inches so 35 blocks in a 5 x 7 setting was my goal. 

I looked around for more fabrics that would mix well with my leftovers and strangely enough I found several fabrics in my civil war reproduction box. 

I now have 35 blocks in yellows, browns, oranges and pinks. 

It will take some thought to put the blocks together correctly so I'm setting them aside for awhile until I feel like thinking. 

While I was making the blocks the There Was a Crooked Man nursery rhyme kept popping up in my mind.   The Crooked Man walked a crooked mile.  Ah, the name for my quilt that I'll put together someday when I feel like thinking! 

Now I do have some smaller Easy Sunday scraps to take care of but that's another story for another day.   

And sew on...

 

7 comments:

Astrid said...

That looks like some fun blocks to do. Colors are great. Can't wait to see it done.

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

I like the colors in these blocks. I had fun with this pattern too.

Linda said...

You are very clever to work out how to use these scraps. It will make a great quilt, unusual collection of colours.

Nann said...

"Until I feel like thinking" -- LOL! That happens to all of us. Great design. I'm reminded of Sujata Shah's Cultural Fusion quilts. (I have that book....squirrel alert!)

MissPat said...

I think you may have identified my problem I just haven't felt like thinking (in a very long while). Interesting design, good use of scraps.
Pat

mangozz said...

I have that book too and those are really fun blocks to work on. Interesting selection of colors. It will be fun to see your finished quilt top.

Mystic Quilter said...

Nice colours in these blocks, I made Fractured many years ago and have thought about Red Centre - perhaps on my list for next year, it would good for my largish scraps.