Tuesday, September 17, 2019

It's a Finish! Scared Shirtless


It's a finish! 
Scared Shirtless
65 x 82.5

It seems we have had a lot of family and friends diagnosed with catastrophic illnesses this year so my little stack of comfort quilts has pretty much been depleted. This will be put away for the next comfort quilt need. I really hope I don't have to give it if it means someone needs to get sick. 

 The actual quilt name is "For the Boys" from the book Quilt Lovely by Jen Kingwell.  The pattern made a square quilt so I modified it and made mine longer. 
There's lots of reasons to make a quilt.  I made this one to use some men's shirts scraps. 
 I had to do some piecing of itty bitty bits in order to have enough brown and blue solids to complete the quilt. I don't have any other blue solid in that color so I thought I might have to substitute a tone on tone or other blue solid but I scraped by. 
 As you can see I just did some easy peasy straight line quilting both vertically and horizontally. 

I didn't have enough blue or brown for the binding and I thought of using some shirts for a scrappy binding but ended up using the backing fabric for binding instead. I thought it might be kind of light but there's a lot of lighter shirts used in the quilt so I think it worked out okay. 

I used a wide backing that had blue, brown and yellow in it called Scratch Marks.  

for

13 comments:

Ann said...

You have such wonderful plaid shirts. Somehow this reminds me of the cross quilt you just finished although I can tell the construction is quite different. And what a good idea to make some comfort quilts for adults or older kids. I will make a few myself. It’s good to have them on hand because no one schedules a catastrophe.

SandyPA said...

Well done! The wide quilting will help this one stay puffy and soft, providing lots of physical comfort. I spy your Connecting Threads purchase! Sandy at sewhigh.blogspot.com

gayle said...

It's absolutely wonderful! This quilt is already on my to-do list, and after seeing yours it just bumped itself up a little higher on the list!

Angie said...

Great finish - I love that shade of blue! Saving this idea for my stack of men's shirts - thanks!

beth s said...

Wonderful quilt.

Cynthia@wabi-sabi-quilts said...

Great looking quilt - the pattern was perfect to use with shirts. Love that glowy blue. I think the light binding works really well too.

Pamela Arbour said...

Another stunning finish! Love the colors you put together. Very striking and masculine.

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

Great finish. I am new to quilting and am enjoying this learning experience. I often think when I look at my fabric stash "what will I do with the quilts I make". I'm pretty sure I'll also be creating a gifting stash of quilts. This realization excites me, lol.
xx, Carol

Sandy Panagos said...

The backing fabric looks great for the binding. Well done!

audrey said...

I too have thought that my supply of comfort quilts is sadly depleted. Ugghh.. So sad. I love your Scared Shirtless so much though! The plaids are very cozy looking, I'd be dangerously close to stealing this one from you if I were your friend and lived close! lol You have made so many amazing quilts through the years and the good quilts just keep coming!

Louise said...

Always a good idea to have a few quilts on hand for those who suddenly need a bit of comfort. This one is very manly and plaidly, perfect for some guy who could use a snuggle :)

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

scared Shirtless is awesome! great way to showcase those plaids!

Sandra Lanter said...

To answer your question about the term Flimsy offending people (me), I just assumed it was a term from another country. Flimsy does mean cheaply made to me, but it doesn't offend me, I know what you are referring to....an unquilted quilt top. Just like the term wadding, it is called batting where I live, but I know what it refers to. Have a good day, I enjoy your blog.