Wednesday, May 1, 2019

Wednesday Webs

 Down came the rain and washed the spider out.  

While waiting for the sun to dry up all the rain I made a few Spider Web blocks. 

These are made from 1.5 inch strips and not strings. In the past  (2012) I made a Spider Web quilt for my grandson using various sizes of strings so I thought I'd try something different for this one.  I started making the blocks in 2016 and used up all the 1.5 inch scraps I had at that time so put the Spider Webs in a shoe box and waited for more scraps to happen. 

 I now have a total of 22 blocksand have a goal to make 48. 
Scraps have happened over the years and I plan this month to either use up all the 1.5 inch strips in the shoe box OR make 48 blocks -- whichever comes first. 

So in May I'll have a weekly Wednesday Web update and not a Midweek Chain Report. 

And since this is a May goal why not declare it as my OMG. 

48 blocks or an empty box? Which will it be? 


12 comments:

Quilting Babcia said...

Well, you're more ambitious than I! My goal for Lori's String-along is just 4 blocks each month, and I'm even having trouble keeping the squirrels out of the quilt room long enough to get that many done! Love the spider-webby fabrics in the center of your blocks.

Julierose said...

well, i do love those spider fabrics for the spider webs...so funny and fun great work hugs, Julierose

Quiltdivajulie said...

I've made webs but never from a fixed width strip. Is it a challenge to get them to line up when you join at the seams?

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

Your 'spiderweb' quilt is looking great, love the 'spidery' centre fabric! I'm midflight making my version of this too... I too wondered how difficult is is to line the seams up? My strips are all different sizes and not perfectly aligned at all, but I love that it's a bit random & wonky.

Linda said...

Spiderweb Quilts I’ve made used a variety of widths, so I’m impressed with how well your fixed width strips match! I think you will reach your 48 blocks before you run out of strips. Looking forward to next Wednesday’s update.

mangozz said...

Your Spider Web quilt is so colorful and fun to look at. I started one quite awhile ago, but stopped because I had been ripping strings from yardage and I was tired of doing it. Lately, I have been leaving a little extra fabric when I clean up and trim yardage, so my strings are slowly growing. Hopefully, I can get back to it soon as I really enjoyed working on it.

Janie said...

Thanks for sharing your process. I like how you think. You make a plan and start heading toward it, small steps.
And sometimes I see you take what you've done and use it for something slightly different, but always moving ahead.
Have a good day!

em's scrapbag said...

Your spiderweb blocks look great! Your grandson is very lucky.

Patty said...

Fun blocks! Thanks for linking up with Elm Street Quilts One Monthly Goal and good luck with your project.

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

These are fantastic and what a great way to use up scraps. Is it a plan for Halloween?

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

It is nice to see these blocks again. I don't know how you keep track of all your projects :)

(But I do know I want to dive right in to your box of strings)

Emily said...

Love this! The spiderwebs as the center is brilliant and so funny! Can't wait to see all your blocks!