Thursday, May 30, 2019

It's a Finish! Log Cabin Lunacy

 Log Cabin Lunacy
It's a Finish! 
64 x 80
 Last August Julie (JulieKQuilts) hosted a Log Cabin Loonies Quilt Along.  She gave instructions for a four inch finished log cabin block made of one inch pieces. I had to make a few. Then I was addicted. 
 The blocks are totally made of scraps. I have scrap bins for a variety of sizes of scraps and just cut one inch off the end of those various sized scraps for my pieces rather than cut one inch strips into various sizes. 
 It's amazing what will sometime show up in just a half inch of fabric.  I've had a few family members and friends spend time in extended care facilities and I've found that if they have a quilt like this on their bed or wheelchair it can spark some conversations which is good if you are a shy quiet girl like me and especially tongue tied around someone who is not well. 
 The patient and visitors always seem to spend time playing I Spy no matter what their age. 
 Ghosts, seashells, fireflies, cat, snowmen, peppermints...
 ...dice, hearts, horseshoes, sailboats.  I call it the "smile factor". 
 I quilted it on my DSM with light brown variegated thread in the white areas and dark brown variegated thread in the dark areas with kind of a loopy thing.  The backing was a gift from a kind soul. 

for


13 comments:

Julierose said...

Just a beautiful finish--my little piece turned into a tablerunner...1"-ers are tiny...;000 hugs, Julierose

---"Love" said...

That's a very striking quilt! It's amazing how those little strips can turn into something so lovely. ---"Love"

Sharon said...

So true about the i-spy factor and conversations. This is a super cool quilt. I actually spied three fabrics that I have in my stash, see, I'm doing it too!

lil red hen said...

I love it!! At first I didn't realize the blocks were only four inches. Isn't it amazing how many ways log cabin blocks can be arranged to make a pattern? It's among my favorite blocks.

Caryl @ cinnamon holiday workshop said...

Cathy....it makes me smile to look at this quilt....so gorgeous! Gotta love our log cabin loonies group!! What fun we have had....thanks to Julie for starting it!!

Linda said...

Such a coincidence. I was rifling thought various piles in my sewing room this morning and found a bag of “makings” for these Blocks, inspired by you of course! . Not I’ve seen your finished top I am inspire to investigate the bag!

Louise said...

Wow! It really turned out great, Cathy! So many fun prints, and I love the loopy quilting motif. I've never seen it stitched in two directions like that, and it really works well. Novelty prints make such wonderful scraps and you're right that everybody plays I Spy :)

Pamela Arbour said...

Since these were soooooooooooo small, did you hand piece them? A always, I love it.

eileen said...

Wonderful quilt, full of love and colour!!

Cynthia@wabi-sabi-quilts said...

It's a wonderful finish - exuberant log cabin. Very classic but modern feeling at the same time. Fun about the I-spying :).

mangozz said...

I am sure that you are tired of hearing me say this, but...this quilt is gorgeous!!! I love log cabins and miniature blocks, and can't believe you made a large quilt out of them too! Did I say that I love the setting and colors too? Your quilting design is so unique and adds so much to the quilt also. It sounds as though you may have someone special in mind as the recipient. I would have a tough time parting with this beauty!

Unknown said...

It's really beautiful. I love it when we take what some consider trash and make a useful item to cherish. Cheers.

Ann said...

A lovely finish. I'm trying to figure out whether you turned your loops or cross-hatched them to get them running in two directions. But in any event, it's a clever way to get it done. We're always looking for a way to quilt on our DSMs.
And I can't believe how many scraps you have... sorted. Wow.