Monday, May 20, 2019

And Then There Were 84!

 I just finished 23 of these 6 x 14 inch blocks. 
Now I have 84 and can begin to assemble the top. 

I started making these back in November 2017 as a Rainbow Scrap Challenge project to use 1.5 inch scraps.  The individual pieces are cut 1.5 x 2.5 inches.  At first I called them Whatchamacallits because I didn't know what to call them.   Then Sally at Objects of Design started making them and called them Bitcoins and I thought that was a very clever and more descriptive name so I started calling them Bitcoins too. 
 I'm going to join the blocks together randomly 14 x 6 or 6 x 14.  That way the quilt will be a square 84 inches and I will be able to have the quilt oriented two different ways. I was going to make a rectangular quilt but couldn't decide which way to orient the blocks so this way it makes no difference. 
 As I mentioned previously, I've been making these from 1.5 inch scraps. The little pieces were individually cut and sewn and not strip pieced although that would have been faster.   I really didn't want a repeat of any fabrics except the neutrals but that didn't happen -- there are a few repeats.  

 I made these last 23 blocks from the 2.5 inch scraps since my 1.5 inch scraps are running low ( and that's a good thing). 

As soon as I iron these blocks...
...they will join with the 61 other blocks and I can begin quilt top assembly.   I've been chomping (or is it champing?) at the bit(coin) to move this forward!  Since the weather has been rain, rain, rain and more rain and I can't work in the garden I might as well go sew. 




11 comments:

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

Looking forward to seeing these blocks all together. They are a great idea for smaller scraps.

Janie said...

Very fun mix of prints and color, nice work Cathy. Great idea to throw in the random 14 X 6 or 6 X14.
And I've said it before, I do admire your tenacity.

cityquilter grace said...

very very nice scrappy...i too tend to sew individually to get a totally mix of fabrics....

Quiltdivajulie said...

LOTS of little pieces make for a super scrappy and really interesting mix. Have full sewing all these blocks together!

Quilter Kathy said...

Fabulous project!
Thanks for the smile... chomping at the bit (coin)!!! LOL

Linda said...

All those Bitcoin blocks! They look great. Like your idea of making the quilt square so you can orientate it lengthways or widthways. Yes, I loved your chomping at the bit(Coin) too!

mangozz said...

Your Bitcoins are so colorful and beautiful! I am always amazed at what you can do with scraps!

Louise said...

So much rainbow goodness in these!

Pamela Arbour said...

both titles are fitting to me! I still think most of what you do is a little bit on the crazy side! LOL But, I love everything you make. If I were to make that pattern with 2-1/2" strips, that would be the width not the length! I don't know if I will ever get to the place where I can make blocks that tiny but I might try it one day. Maybe a pillow? LOL You know I love seeing your posts!

Ann said...

I made one of these in slightly larger units but love this name. It's a great way to keep using the bit scraps. Much better than tossing them.

Teresa said...

Gotta love a scrappy quilt. I am anxious to see the quilt top you put together with these blocks.