Monday, May 6, 2019

Cavorting With Elves and Fairies


Behind the blooming Bluebells you can see a sundial...
 ...and in the base of the sundial is a fairy door.  The fairies and some very small elves live in the sundial and tend the fairy garden ...
...within the fairy ring of little species tulips and pinks. 


 Some fairies guard the patch of miniature lilies and hostas. 
 Little elves sometimes tend to miniature lilies too. 



Some elves just sit in the shade of the grape hyacinth and read. 
 Old ma and pa frog have been guarding the miniature columbine for ages and yet it appears the rabbits still take a nibble off of it now and then. 
 The Lamium fairy was knocked off her pedestal a long time ago by some wild animal like a raccoon or deer. 
 The fairies and elves tricked my daughter one year with their fake cement morels. 
 The bird house marks a little honeysuckle that the fairies and elves are going to try to keep small like a bonsai tree.  



 Meanwhile I'm doing the real work. My sewing room shares space with seedling flats this time of year.  I save a lot of my annual flower and veggie seeds from year to year. 

After seedlings get their second set of leaves they get planted into paper cups and pots also saved from year to year.  Each day they get carried outside to harden off and are brought back in again at night if we think the weather will get too cold for the tender seedlings. 


 I also winter sow seeds in plastic bags - little individual greenhouses. 
 I've been practicing winter sowing for years.  Certain flowers, veggies and herbs can be sown in containers and left outside all winter. They will sprout when the time is right. If you are not familiar with winter sowing then WinterSown.org is the place to start reading.  A lot of my seeds have sprouted and will be ready to plant into the garden soon. 


 The elves and fairies do NOT help with the sewing. There are piles of chain pieced blocks behind the sewing machine. 

And there's piles of blocks to be ironed and trimmed. 


 And sometimes blocks actually get made like this month's Block Lotto block - Modified T


8 comments:

Julierose said...

your sundial hosts so many wonderous fairies and elves...just
adorable...hugs, Julierose

Teresa said...

Enjoyed the visit to your fairy garden. Also, love the colorful quilt you are making.

Pamela Arbour said...

All of that and you had time to sew? Of course you did.

Libby in TN said...

You better tell those fairies to get off their butts and help you in the sewing room! Loved seeing your garden and will study up on saving seeds for next year (assuming my trough garden yields anything worth saving).

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

love all your little elves and fairy's and things! you have a lot of planting to do

Louise said...

Libby's comment made me laugh! Fairy butts!! I'm easily amused, I think :) Your garden looks so fresh and new, lots of tender shoots and such. The individual greenhouse baggies are intriguing!

Emily said...

Love your fairies! TO bad they aren't helping in the sewing room, though!

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

Oh I wish I would see a pedestal that is as unique as yours. I don't have fairies in my garden. I do have little Mexican men enjoying a siesta. I love them dearly. I bought one from a home decor show decades ago and have since collected every single one I find at garage sales and thrift shops.

Love your little flowers and your PURPLE/BLUE flowers especially. I am not so patiently waiting for sunny warm days here in Northern Indiana.
xx, Carol