Monday, May 27, 2019

It's a Finish!


A Depression Block Quilt
64 x 80
It's a finish!



 Back in 2014 I started making these eight inch Depression Blocks from 2.5 inch scraps as a Rainbow Scrap Challenge project. It took me until last year to accumulate 80 totally scrappy blocks. 

I've previously made two other Depression Block quilts. The first was made of 3.5 inch HSTs using the layout at Quilter's Cache but I don't make my HSTs like the instructions.  I think my youngest son has that quilt. Then I made one from 4.5 inch scraps (16 inch block) and gave that as a wedding gift to my nephew.  

 I quilted it on my DSM with some loose spirals in white thread. 
 I used a wide backing with big polka dots...
 ...and for the binding I used several different low volume scraps. 

I think this will go into the donation quilt pile.  Lately I've been trying to make twin sized quilts for local donation.  I'm thinking when I get a pile of 12 I will invite the three grandkids (ages 14, 14 and 10) over and have them choose six for donation.  The emphasis will be on which six to give and not which six to keep. That will leave six in a reserve pile. Then when that reserve pile again gets up to 12 we will do the same thing over again and again...  I'm hoping the grandkids will get into the spirit of giving and also go with me when I drop the quilts off.  When the grandkids get old enough to set up their own apartments, houses, dorms they can pick from the pile for themselves if they wish; although I do have some items including quilts already in hope chests for each of them. 

for



20 comments:

cityquilter grace said...

very pretty!

Pamela Arbour said...

I love it. I love scrappy anyway. You have really been diligent to work on the blocks until you got enough for a top. Congratulations. You had a good vision for these fabrics. That is so sweet of you to put them up for donation and to include your grandkids in the process.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

a finish always feels so good! such a nice colorful quilt

mangozz said...

I don't know why this is called a depression block because in those colors and prints, it is anything but! I would have a hard time giving this one away. It just sparkles!

Tammy said...

This is a great pattern for which to use up a lot of as scraps! Really like it!

Linda said...

Another great quilt. Love the idea of involving your grandchildren in choosing which quilts to donate.

Louise said...

I love that idea of having the grandkids think about what to donate. I hope that sparks some good conversations about giving back. They will carry those thoughts into their adult lives, which is a great gift from you to them! This is a lovely scrappy quilt using one of my favorite blocks :)

Mystic Quilter said...

A great scrappy quilt to add to your donation collection and your grandchildren will have fun choosing the six to donate.

Vicki in MN said...

I love that you are involving your Gkids in this giving effort. Congrats on a great finish.

SandyPA said...

Lovely finish! Congratulations on clearing out more scraps. Now you are ready for another RSC project! Sandy at sewhigh.blogspot.com

cspoonquilt said...

Fabulous colors! That's a great idea to get the grandkids involved! You are very generous with your sewing time! It's a great way to 'play it forward'!

Connie said...

Finished and gorgeous!!!

Kaja said...

Another lovely finish. I really like your idea of involving the grandkids in the donation process - I know my youngest 2 would love sorting through piles of quilts and deciding which ones to give and, as you say, it's a good lesson too.

Cathy said...

Oh my, I just love this. I’ve been watching this one since you started it, marveling at all the HSTs. I love the blocks and the quilt so much!! Congratulations on a gorgeous finish!! I guess I should just buckle down and do a very long-term Depression Block quilt by making just 1-2 blocks a month. I hate trimming HSTs, but it’s easier now with the Easy Angle ruler and other trimmers (thanks to your advice!)

Sue SA said...

Wow I just love this quilt! I also love the idea of making the HST out of larger pieces, I currently cut 2.5" scraps, but that makes for lots of seams and a very heavy top! Thanks for the inspiration!

Sharon said...

What a cool tradition to share with your grandkids, and us! Makes the world a better place. And another beautiful finish!
Cheeriest "Depression" quilt ever :)

Emily said...

What a great idea to have the grandkids pick which quilts to donate!

Rebecca Burch said...

What a cheerful, happy quilt... not "depressing" at all... LOL! I loved the block so much I found a pattern for one & think I'll make a quilt from it out of my 30's reproduction fabrics. Thanks for the great idea!

Kathy S. said...

I love how this quilt makes me think at first glance that the blocks are on point... then I have to look again. Gorgeous finish! -- as always!

Sarah Goer Quilts said...

You've made a lovely quilt and I like your plan for incorporating your grandkids for the giving part. Thank you for participating in the FAL, on behalf of the 2019 global FAL hosts.