Friday, August 24, 2018

Stirring the Pot

 A couple of days ago I made another batch of spaghetti sauce and canned it. It takes a long time to cook it down and I usually stir it every 15 minutes.    In between stirring the pot I made a Happy Block flimsy which will be donated when finished.   It was something easy and mindless to work on - easy to pick up and put down between stirs. 
 I had a small stack of "old lady florals" to use for the centers that has been sitting around here far too long.  My daughter sometimes brings me miscellaneous stuff she picks up at church rummage sales and garage sales and at various times she had brought me some precut centers I just stuck in a small box.  I found enough in a red/white/blue color scheme and cut some block borders from red/white/blue "old lady florals" I have on hand (even though I'm not really an old lady). I had measured the precut on top of the stack and it was 6.5 inches so I cut the sides at 2.5 x 6.5 and 2.5 x 10.5 thinking I would have a 10 inch (finished) block. Well, I should have measured more than the top couple precuts in the stack because when I went to sew borders on the block I found that most of the centers were only 6 inches.  Darn! So I had to lop .5 inch off the border pieces as well as .5 off the few centers that were 6.5.   I hate wasting even .5 of fabric but...I do have a nice flimsy now and have emptied a little box of (s)crap. 
Some  of the centers look like those calicos from the 70s? with little hearts..
 ...and some of the centers are those "old lady florals" probably also from the 70s but I'm not a fabric dater expert so who knows.   
 The rest of the centers that weren't red/whit/blue I'm going to cut up and use in those little log cabin blocks I've been making.   
I also now have 11 more quarts and 3 pints of spaghetti sauce as a result of pot stirring.  The tomatoes, peppers, herbs and onions were all from the garden. And they are not "old lady veggies". 

12 comments:

mangozz said...

You must have incredible gardening skills! Homemade sauce is so much better.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I must be an old lady, because I remember my mom making me clothes out of those little floral prints in the 60s and 70s, lol! Looks like they will make a great happy quilt! Your spaghetti sauce looks and sounds yummy, too.

---"Love" said...

My mom used to can good things from Daddy's garden. Just seeing yours makes me want a jar of it; looks delicious! Your quickie quilt is nice too! ---"Love"

MissPat said...

I used to make my own tomato sauce and chili sauce and zucchini relish and watermelon pickles, but that was BD, before deer. I should copy your design and use up some of my old lady florals or even my newer large florals.
Pat

Cathy said...

Your little scrappy quilt top is cute. I love how you use everything - fabric and veggies from the garden. Waste not, want not. Tomorrow is my day to cook down some of my tomatoes, onions and peppers into a sauce. The squash are resting this week, lol.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Its perfect! and yay for the tomato Sauce....... we made some salsa ;-)

Linda said...

Stirring the pot and cooking up a quilt - a very well managed day's work, I think. I'm still working out what old lady vegetables are...... cabbage, swedes, perhaps?

Dorothy said...

I don't think there is anything "old lady" about you, whether it's veggies or fabric or quilts :-)

Cherie in St Louis said...

Your quilt top doesn't scream old lady :) The spaghetti sauce looks wonderful...wish we had smell-of-vision ;-)

Louise said...

The florals may be old fashioned, but they look great in happy blocks. It moderns them up, like Granny picking a rap song for Karaoke :)

Barb Neiwert said...

I'm jealous of your tomatoes! We can't grow them where I live. You'll certainly enjoy those canned jars this winter! And your scrap quilt is perfect!

Pamela Arbour said...

Love your flimsy and your spaghetti sauce.