Wednesday, August 15, 2018

I've Got Sunshine on a Cloudy Day


 Two Donation Quilt Tops

The first was inspired by Star Bright at Swim, Bike, Quilt.   but I changed it up a bit and used 6.5 squares so I could use what I have on hand and end up with a quilt 42 x 60. I also wanted to see how I liked a purple, gray, yellow color scheme. (I like it). 

 The second quilt came about because I was making blocks for Sunshine Online Quilt Guild's October Block Lotto. The theme is normally "Bright" in October; however, this year we are celebrating the 10 year anniversary of Tammy's reign as Block Lotto organizer so the theme is Sunshine. Many, many, many Block Lotto quilts have been donated to either of two projects Sunshine sponsors - Wrap-A-Smile  who partners with Rotaplast or Quilts Beyond Borders

Anyway,  I made some Sunshine themed blocks for the October Sunshine Block Lotto  plus I made some for myself to put into a quilt.  This one measures 40 x 60. 




And these are the blocks I'll be sending to Tammy for the October drawing. 

If you would like to join us at Sunshine (a MeWe group)  we would love to have you.  I don't really "talk" much but some ladies are pretty chatty. It's a fun group with some teasing whether you are chatty or shy like me.  We all have a common cause. 

We make quilts for Quilts Beyond Borders, a charity providing quilts to children (sometimes adults too) in under served areas of the world. I've seen quilts I've made and sent to Quilts Beyond Borders with children in orphanages in Ethiopia and Uganda and they have been sent to be distributed to Syrian refugees. 

We also make quilts for Wrap-a-Smile, a partner of Rotaplast .  They are "committed to helping children and families worldwide by eliminating the burden of cleft lip and/or palate, burn scarring, and other deformities. "  

Here's an excerpt from a letter about our quilts from a nurse who worked on several Rotaplast missions: 

"These hospitals we work in have NO linens at all, let alone on the OR tables or recovery rooms or wards. We use these quilts first to wrap each child in as they wait for surgery. It truly comforts them, no matter what age. Then, as they are moved to the OR, we use the quilt to cover them and keep them warm in surgery. This is actually critical to anesthesia and post-op healing. Warmth is critical!

At home we use electric warmers called Bear Huggers. On missions we use your quilts. But – we are very careful to protect the quilts from blood splashes during the IV start and surgery.
Then, as the patients are moved to recovery room, the quilts are a crucial part of the caring, medical equipment, and patient comfort. Again, if patients are not warmed, they do NOT do as well post-op. We cover them in PACU (recovery) again, being careful not to let blood or body fluids touch the beautiful quilts..."


So...I probably won't get these finished up until next year. I'm asking Santa for a roll of batting.  Meanwhile I'll keep on making tops from scraps as they happen.  I have about 8  donation quilt tops in the pile now. 

7 comments:

em's scrapbag said...

Beautiful quilts! Great causes! Keep up the good work!

Linda said...

Two lovely quilt tops. Can't go wrong with Stars. Hope Santa gets your message for batting!

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

Beautiful quilts!!! I love the sparkle!!!

MissPat said...

That yellow quilt is certainly filled with a lot of sunshine. Three cheers for your efforts for both of these charities. I'm hoping to find a program closer to home that I can donate quilts to.
Pat

Sue McQ said...

Beautiful Beautiful!

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

They are lovely and bright!!

Louise said...

That gray, purple and yellow giant star is really striking. And I love your August blocks! I haven't started on mine yet, so I should probably stop being so chatty on MeWe and get to work :) I'm pretty sure I joined Sunshine after you posted about it, so thanks for introducing me to such a great group.