Tuesday, August 21, 2018

It's a Finish!


It's a Finish!
36 x 48
Machine quilted in variegated blue thread on top and natural in the bobbin. 

If the very middle looks a tiny tiny bit wider than the rest...well, it is. You may or may not know that I have a wringer washer.  It is difficult to squeeze out enough water to put a quilt in the dryer without a spin cycle.  I normally drape the smaller quilts on an old wooden drying rack.  I have no place to dry them flat. (The larger quilts are taken to the laundromat). Well...a couple of wooden dowels came out of the drying rack and I haven't had a chance to glue them back in. One dowel is warped and I'm not sure I'll even be able to get it glued back in. I guess it's time to buy a new drying rack.  I found the one I've been using many many years ago at a thrift store so it really has seen better days.   So, I know I should not hang quilts on the clothesline to dry when they are really wet but I thought if I just folded it it in half and draped it over the line this small quilt would not stretch out of shape. Well...I was wrong.  Somehow where it was folded over the clothesline the quilt grew a tiny bit wider. Darn!  When I took it off the line when it was almost dry to put it in the dryer to finish up I never noticed it but I sure do now.   In order to fix the problem I might wet the quilt and clear off the dining room table (full of tomatoes and peppers right now) and dry it flat there on beach towels. 

 Twelve ships with different colors of sails.  This was a Rainbow Scrap Challenge project a few years ago. I found one ship at a time was not efficient so quit making them.  I dug out the UFO to finish for some soon-to-be grandparents and found I needed five more blocks.  No problem. 
I quilted "clouds" and "waves"...

 ...but left the ship and sails unquilted so they would stand out a bit. 
I had almost enough blue solid for the binding.  I grabbed a snowflake scrap from the 2.5 inch scrap box to finish out the binding.    Which came first? - the quilt or the backing? The backing fabric inspired the quilt!  

for
and

And another UFO gets checked off the list! 


21 comments:

Quilting Babcia said...

It's a sweet finish for a new baby! I'd leave the quilt as is, the first time the new mom washes it and then throws it in her dryer that extra width will go away. Do all quilters have piles of tomatoes and peppers on the dining table and every available flat surface this month or is it just us lol!

mangozz said...

Very cute quilt! I bet if you washed it again and put it in the dryer, or washed and dried it at the laundromat, it would straighten out just fine. I know that if I make something for someone else, I want it to be just right. The waves and clouds quilting is a nice touch too.

Teresa said...

Its a great quilt. Too bad about it drooping a little in the middle, hope you can get that fixed, but if not, its still beautiful

Crystal_235 said...

Congratulations on another great finish!

Julierose said...

Just a gorgeous quilt, Cathy--love the blue sashing a lot and those shocking pink sails on one block are really neat...hugs, Julierose

Cathy said...

I wouldn’t have noticed the wide middle if you hadn’t said anything. But either way it’s easily fixable. What a super, FUN quilt. Congrats!

Louise said...

I love your clouds and waves quilting! It's just right on the nautical quilt. And just so you know, many boaters are a bit wider in the middle, too. So that adds some real authenticity to the piece :)

MissPat said...

What a super quilt for a boy. I agree with Louise's observation. Take it to the laundromat and rewash and dry. I bet it will be fine.
Pat

Mary said...

I love this. It's the best boat and water themed quilt I've seen.

Janie said...

Wonderful finish!
The bright colors against the blues are gorgeous.
Perfect and fun for a little one.
And fresh tomatoes and peppers. There's nothing better than
a fresh tomato sandwich.

---"Love" said...

You've done it again~ So very cute! Makes me want to go sailing! ---"Love"

Linda said...

I remember you making these blocks. They have came together into a great quilt, bright and colourful and lots for a baby to look at. I hadn't noticed the washing problem but I know you will want to fix it before giving the quilt as a gift. I'm sure it will be fine.

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

This is such a cool quilt!! Absolutely lovely.

Ann said...

A wonderful finish. I know a young man who'd like a sailboat quilt, too.
I'm sorry you had difficulties washing and drying. I used to dry mine on sheets on the ground. Not sure if that would work at all for you.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Oh what a great finish!

BillieBee (billiemick) said...

What a fun and wonderful quilt.

Emily said...

I love how this turned out and I love the matching back! Great ships, and so what if it's a little wide across the middle. Truth be told, so am I!

Karen's Korner said...

A quilt to be treasured for many a year by the lucky recipient.

Nann said...

Scrappy Schooners! The varied backgrounds really enhance the design. What a wonderful quilt! (My inquiring mind wants to know if you use the wringer washer for all your laundry.)

Patty said...

This is just awesome! Thanks for linking up with Elm Street Quilts One Monthly Goal and thanks for linking up!

Ella said...

The ships and the backing are a perfect combo! It's so happy! On behalf of the FAL crew, thanks for joining in!