Tuesday, August 14, 2018

It's a Finish! All Tied Up





It's a Finish!
All Tied Up
(Bow Ties)
84 x 96
Tied and hand quilted

It's not really a quilt because there is no batting. This is what grandma called a "summer quilt". 

 I spent a couple of years making a few six inch bow tie blocks each month in the Rainbow Scrap Challenge color of the month. It took a couple of years to get enough 3.5 inch scraps to make enough for a large quilt. 
 I don't think there are any fabric repeats except for the neutrals.  I just randomly sewed blocks together trying to remember to keep a few blocks lighter in value toward the outside edges. 


 When I started out I was just going to tie the quilt with #10 crochet cotton.  I tied one row across at the corners of each square and decided I didn't like it, took out all the ties and started over after a good think. 

 So then I did some tying where bow ties intersect and where the blocks intersect. I used the same crochet cotton and stitched around the bow ties in the neutral areas. 

I used a flannel sheet from the thrift store on back and a variety of light to pastel floral fabrics for the binding. 
 The flannel was nice and soft and the perfect width. I hardly had any width to spare -- just the side seams had to be cut off. 
 It sure reminds me of grandma's summer quilts.  I think I'll put it on my bed now since it's summer and like grandma I'm without air conditioning but sometimes this time of year the nights start getting a little cooler.   I'm also going to use the vintage rose pillowcases I made years ago. 




for

21 comments:

gayle said...

Hurray for a finish! (And of course you had to tie a bow tie quilt!)
Will you miss making those 3.5" bow ties after making them for so long?

Julierose said...

Beautiful summer quilt finish--I like the idea of the flannel sheet backing a lot--so pretty with your pillowcases...hugs, Julierose

Anonymous said...

This reminds me of my grandmother. She made most of her quilts (that I remember) without a batt. She usually used a sheet for the backing. I like the idea of using a flannel sheet. Thanks for sharing.

---"Love" said...

That summer quilt is beautiful! So is your pillowcase! Anyone would love to sleep with those! ---"Love"

Linda said...

Good idea to make a summer quilt. I knew you would suddenly produce your Bow Tie quilt - like a rabbit out of a hat! So exciting to make a complete quilt literally from scraps.

Nann said...

"Light neutrals" are the genre/style I have the hardest time grasping. Yet when they're shown -- as in these bow ties -- I get it.

Janie said...

Congratulations on your beautiful summer quilt finish!
That's a great way to finish a quilt.
I always learn lots when I visit here.
Thanks again for sharing.

Crystal_235 said...

Great finish.

Carla A Few Of My Favorite Things said...

We always called that a coverlet Love the idea of the flannel backing. Your embroidered pillow cases are perfect to go along with it

mangozz said...

I love simple quilts like this the best. I also like the idea of using a flannel sheet for a backing. I will need to try that too.

Susan said...

We called a quilt without batting a summer spread. This came out beautiful. I was wondering what all those bow tie blocks would become.

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

A lovely 'summer' quilt, and those pillowcases are beautiful too!

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

Nice finish! I am working on getting my bowtie blocks into a quilt top. So many layout options!

Quilter Kathy said...

I love this quilt! It's a scrappy delight!
Great idea to make a summer quilt with no batting... I might have to copy that idea!

Louise said...

I love it! It still counts as a quilt if you use ties and hand stitching to hold it together. And what a lovely weight with just the single layer of (pretty) flannel. We use our summer weight piece all. the. time. Congrats on a gorgeous and super useful finish :)

Sue McQ said...

So lovely and soft. You are an inspiraton. Thank you for sharing. Blessings.

Karen in Breezy Point said...

This is my favorite setting for bow ties and your quilt turned out wonderfully!! Love it!!

Emily said...

This is so lovely! I really like the idea of a summer quilt. I do sometimes like a light layer and it seems like this would be perfect. Great bow ties!

Wonky Girl said...

Such pretty finishes !

audrey said...

Such a great quilt! Love this block so much.:)

Ella said...

It feels so wonderfully vintage! Congrats on the finish, and, on behalf of the FAL crew, thank you for joining in!