Thursday, August 16, 2018

Don't Sweat the Small Stuff

It's no secret that I like to make small blocks and big quilts. 

How about some 4 inch (finished) log cabin blocks for a 60 x 80 quilt. 

Julie made a call for all Log Cabin Loonies to join with her to make some of these cuties. So I have. 
You can see from her instructions that it takes 1.5, 2, 2.5, 3, 3.5, 4, 4.5 inch pieces x 1 inch.  Well, I just happen to have all those different scrap sizes sorted into bins EXCEPT for the 3 and 4 inch.  So, for all the scrap sizes I do have I just picked some and cut an inch off the end of each. I cut enough pieces for 20 blocks.  Then for the 1 x 3 and 1 x 4 inch pieces I cut a 1 inch piece off of something(s) from the scrap chunk bin and further cut those 3 and 4 inch pieces.   Clear as mud?  It works for me.  And now I have 20 blocks and am ready for Julie's link up for Log Cabin Loonies

And speaking of four inch (finished) blocks...I've made a few more for Gallimaufry which is inspired by a vintage (c. 1890) quilt.   Can you tell I was working with orange scraps? 

Now I have to leave unexpectedly for a few days. See you when I get back!  

18 comments:

Quilter Kathy said...

I'm getting started with the little log cabins and orange scraps... so cute!

Linda said...

Such tiny Log Cabins, they look really cute. A busy sewing time before your trip. Travel safely.

sophie said...

making enough of those tiny log cabins for a big quilt would be a forever project at my house. They are so tempting though (and you are a temptress of quilters!)

Julierose said...

When you sew these logs, what seam allowance do you use-1/4" or less? I am cutting 1" strips from my leftovers...yours is really cute...hugs, Julierose

Janie said...

Log cabin blocks and the color orange, two of my favorites!
Of course I'm drawn in to see the fun.
The small size makes them precious.
Have a good trip.

---"Love" said...

Log cabins in those colors are some of my favorites! It will be beautiful! ---"Love"

mangozz said...

Absolutely love those little log cabin blocks. I made a large log cabin quilt years ago for someone else, and I have yet to make one for myself.

MissPat said...

we'll be waiting for your return. Not sure I could handle such a small log cabin. I started a miniature one many years ago and I don't even know what's become of it. Buried in a box somewhere.

Pat

Caryl @ cinnamon holiday workshop said...

Oh I like your log cabins and glad you are joining with the Loonies too! And the orange quilt is amazing!

gayle said...

I have to hunt up my log cabins - they're in a box or bag somewhere in my sewing room chaos. Though you're tempting me to start a bunch of those cute little minis...

Carla A Few Of My Favorite Things said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Carla A Few Of My Favorite Things said...

Oh so many small blocks to make a quilt but oh what a great quilt they make

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

Hopefully you have an emergency vacation or shopping experience, and not anything worrisome. You've presented yet another beautiful squirrel to distract me!

QuiltGranma said...

Last week I finally got back to working with my 1 1/2 inch strips to make 7" finished scrappy log cabins. It was over 8 years ago this began, and have been adding a new strip of each new 1800's reprints as I get them. I'm having trouble getting them the right size, perhaps using too big a seam allowance. Will keep trying! BUT loving it anyway!

Sue McQ said...

Log cabins are my favorite. Hmmm, can I add this as another project?!

Ann said...

Log cabins are always wonderful. Thanks for sharing. And your orange blocks look like a bow tie to me. Have a good time.

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

Love your little log cabin blocks!

julieQ said...

OH I love them!! How darling!!!!