Sunday, May 6, 2018

It's a Finish! Fall Festival


Fall Festival
Celebrating the joy that comes from jumping into a big pile of colorful leaves. 
60 x 75
It's a finish! 

(Pardon the blurry photos. I was dodging raindrops and trying to hurry.)



It all started a few years ago with a six inch Chunky Churn Dash swap with a fall theme. 

You can also kind of see my free motion machine quilting on my DSM in this photo. I quilted tree branches with leaves horizontally across the quilt. 


I assembled four Chunky Churn Dashes, some Flying Geese and a 3 inch Nine Patch into a 15 inch block and when I ran out of Chunky Churns I substituted some framed four patches in a couple of blocks. 


Some alternate patterns emerged when the blocks were assembled into a top like four Chunky Churns bordered by Flying Geese with 9 Patch cornerstones or even some simple four patches. 

 Here you can see a little more of the leafy tree branch quilting. I used a scrappy binding. 
The backing was a soft flannel sheet from the thrift store. I had to let the seams out a little bit in order for it to be big enough.   I pieced together leftover batting for use in this quilt. 

This will go into the donation/gift stash which is very low at the moment. When the time is right it will go to a new owner. 

for 

I participated in four Chunky Churn swaps in order to challenge myself to make quilts with different layouts.  This was quilt number 3. The first two follow. 

CCD #1 -  The patriotic themed Chunky Churns were combined with snowballs and orphan blocks in a patriotic theme. It was a Quilt of Valor for my brother-in-law. 
CCD #2 - Chunky Churns in 30s fabrics. I combined them with another old swap - calico spools and actually made a border which is unusual for me.

I have one more to go - floral Chunky Churns. 

13 comments:

Barb Neiwert said...

Wow! I love all your colors in your quilts! They shine though. Very nice on all these!

gayle said...

Fall Festival is terrific! I can smell the mulled cider from here...
And you do the best things with scraps of anyone I know. Love all your renditions of chunky churndashes!

Linda said...

Your Fall Festival quilt is fabulous! The backing is perfect for the quilt's theme. Thanks for including in your post the other themed churn blocks quilts. All super!

Kathy's A Quilter said...

WOW, these are all fabulous! What a crazy scrap quilting habit you have!! I am totally in awe.

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

I love these quilts. There is just so much to see. Thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap!

Sally Trude said...

Yes, I love your use of prints within a block...but I also love how your bring a mix of blocks together and make them sing. Fantastic!

The Joyful Quilter said...

All great examples of what can be done with Chunky Churn Dash blocks. Congrats! on your newly completed quilt.

Aileen said...

Wow This came out so cheerful! I miss fall. I live in Florida now.

Quilter Kathy said...

Each of the chunky churn dash quilts are wonderful!
Congrats on another finish!

Louise said...

I didn't realize you had made two other CCDs, with one more pickling in the studio until well aged. Such a great block, and I really like these rich autumnal colors. A cornucopia of churn dashes :)

Nann said...

Delicious! And a nice way to commemorate the Block Swappers. Those CCD exchanges were for the 10th anniversary.

MissPat said...

I really like the CCD and spool combo. Amazing how you put together all the different blicks in fall festival and it comes out looking like you designed it that way. Can't wait to see the floral version.
Pat

felicity said...

Terrific finishes! Thanks for linking up to the FAL, on behalf of the global hosts.