Wednesday, May 9, 2018

324 Down; 1724 To Go

I have 324  - 2 inch HSTs. 
I need 2048 to make Garden Mosaic (aka Totally Demented)

Gayle of Mangofeet challenged me and Sally of The Objects of Design to make what she calls a Totally Demented quilt.  I find it interesting that we have all approached the making of the quilt in different ways.   I'm going to make all the HSTs first, then the four patch units and then the blocks.  So far I have made HSTs out of the 2 inch scrap pieces I had in a bin.  Now I have to cut some 2 inch strips from scrap chunks. 

Update on the HST count will occur next month around this time.  Hopefully the count will more than double. Time will tell. 

And, yes, I enjoy the lost art of addition with scrap paper and pencil! 

13 comments:

em's scrapbag said...

That's a lot of hsts. Good luck!

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

Oh my goodness, that really is a lotta HST's!! I checked out the link, and I realise the diagram on your photo is only a small part of the whole thing! A wonderful scrappy adventure!

mangozz said...

OMG you've got to be really nuts! But of one thing I am really sure - you will definitely finish first.

---"Love" said...

I would say if you aren't nuts now, you will be by the time you get all those tiny pieces together! However, I've thought that before, yet you always come through with flying colors! I'm sure you will this time too. ---"Love"

Nann said...

Awesome!
Would contributions of HSTs help you out? I'd be happy to fling some your way.

Sally Trude said...

I assume by "lost art" you mean making the calculations on scrap paper and then losing the paper and having to recalculate. That's definitely part of my process. Also, I have an additional two steps to my totally demented quilt--1) leave it scattered around the sewing room to mix in with other projects so I get disgusted and 2) jam it all into a box to marinate.

Crystal_235 said...

I just checked out the link and seen what the whole quilt looks like.

gayle said...

Did I actually issue a challenge, or did you two just say "hey, I'm just as demented as you are!"? 8)
At least I'm in good company!
Anyone else want to play along?

gayle said...

Oh, and I'm an old-school write-on-paper calculator, too, but I've learned my lesson re: losing the paper. I take a picture of it now, since I'm less likely to lose my camera than a scrap of paper...

Louise said...

I admire all of your quilts, but this is one I won't be emulating...too many dang HSTs for me :)

Astrid Reflux said...

I have this one on my To Do list! I look forward to seeing yours - I'm sure you'll finish before I get around to starting, but you will be my inspiration.

Janie said...

How fun another amazing challenge in which you flex your
organizing skills and come up with a wow quilt.
I enjoyed Sally's post on her blog, where her cat was the 'guest' blogger,
so funny!

Kaja said...

My first thought was that you are nuts, but then I saw its a challenge, and it all made sense.