Wednesday, May 16, 2018

Duck, Duck, Goose

Two quilt tops

I recently found bits and pieces of different duck prints so decided add them to a few chunk scraps to make a couple of child sized donation quilts. 


I had some pink scraps out for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge so decided to add some blue and yellow for this quilt. What to do...what to do...then Duck Duck Goose popped into my head. So I made some Flying Geese and sewed them together randomly into columns.    I was going to alternate columns of Flying Geese pointing upwards with columns pointing downward; however, when I went to sew the columns together they looked sort of weird - probably because the corners on the Flying Geese aren't all the same color? 

Anyway...I didn't want to add sashing between each column so just went with one sashing.  I cut a couple of two inch strips so I could use the leftover for making those 2048 - 2 inch HSTs I have in the works for another project. 

You know I usually sew blocks or units together randomly and I'm kind of amazed at how often the same fabrics show up next to each other like all the Flying Geese with the light pink corners all in a row. 

And here I evidently have all my ducks in a row. 

I had a lot of duck prints in various sizes of squares from past swaps. I combined with the leftovers from the Flying Geese quilt so I had 24 squares to use in 10 inch blocks.  For this quilt I used blue, yellow and orange. 



These were quick and easy tops to put together in between gardening - my other love. 

It will probably be awhile before they get quilted. I haven't looked for backings yet. 

7 comments:

Linda said...

I love both of your quilt tops. Happy Blocks are always fun especially when you have the great variety of fabrics you have. The Duck Duck Goose quilt is lovely, pretty colours, fabrics and I like the narrow strip and its placement off centre. Don't know how you found time for gardening!

Janie said...

Two great quilts to bring color and cheerfulness where ever they go.
I'm glad you got to be in your garden. The deer are beginning to eye the hosta
in the backyard here.

Quilter Kathy said...

Isn't it funny how that happens when you're trying to make a random layout!?!

Cathy said...

Love the Duck, Duck Goose Quilts! And I love that you’re always up for a small detour in your quilting plans. I’ve been spending a lot of time outdoors the last couple weeks, too. After Bruce,s arm (cancer) surgeries last year, he was told not to garden, mow, or be out in the sun. We got a lawn mowing service (even though the backyard is only a postage stamp lawn with the rest devoted to patio and garden). This year we’ve kept the lawn service, which frees up Bruce to focus solely on the raised veggie beds and me on the flower beds. And what a blast we’re having!

Pamela Arbour said...

Both are cute and will be well loved. Nice patterns for both.

gayle said...

These two are just fiercely happy! Smile-makers, for sure!

Kaja said...

I like that single line of sashing. There's probably a mathematical formula out there to explain why random often turns out like that.