Sunday, May 13, 2018

All Creatures Great and Small


This time of year I spend a lot of time in the garden so when it comes to hand work I work on smaller projects instead of hand quilting on a big quilt.  One of the projects I worked on this week was my All Creatures Great and Small hexies.  I completed eight of them and prepped many more. 


They will go into the pile with some of the other critters...

...now totaling 83.  Not sure how many I want or the size of the quilt I'll make. I guess I'll just make them until I've made one from all the different creature fabrics I have in the stash. 

I have my pencil case loaded with more pieces - scraps from the 30s reproduction box.  These will be hexies with the star configuration.    Just an FYI - to baste fabric to my scratch paper templates I use old spools of thread from the thrift store. I'm not sure why someone would have all those itty bitty spools but they work for me. I then use the thread from the ends of machine quilting thread and ladder stitch for piecing.  My cross stitch biscornu pincushion I made years ago has seen better days but it fits perfectly into my pencil box.  I guess my little needlework scissors must be under the pieces.  So now I have hexies to go. 

10 comments:

gayle said...

I use old thread for basting, too. I've got a 300-bazillion yard cone of polyester thread that's old enough to buy beer - it's thin and breakable and therefore perfect for basting. I don't have to waste "good" thread! 8)
Your hexies are absolutely wonderful and so much fun to look at! I love seeing all those critters. (Love love love the lambs, especially!)

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

There are so many cute fabrics in your hexagonal. I like how you are piecing them all differently. Thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap!

Linda said...

More super critter fabrics. Great hexies.

Ivani said...

What size are your hexies?
Cute fabrics.

Sarah said...

Nice EPP projects going on especially with those super cute fabrics!

Julierose said...

Great hexie projects...I am taking mine out to try to finish up some started last spring/Summer--I feel the same way about smaller projects in these months...beautiful butterfly...hugs, Julierose

Janie said...

I have the gray fabric with the birds on it and I'd like to have
the butterfly fabric, lovely.
Nice work on your hexagons too and that's a good idea
using old thread for basting.

Angie said...

As always, I'm in awe at the depth of your stash! I have been using a fabric glue pen for my hexies - mostly for the stars, since there are so many pieces.

mangozz said...

Love the fabrics and the fussy cutting too! I'm always on the lookout for cute cat fabric and you have some adorable ones there, and the butterflies too. I love basting hexies but not so much sewing them together.

Emily said...

Wow, such a great variety of creatures in your EPP blocks!