This is a story about a UFO that almost remained a UFO forever...
Last week I decided I would follow along with Free Motion Quilting's UFO Sunday and try to finish up a spider web quilt (I call it cobweb quilt since the fabric that forms the star is called COBWEB. Well, in my post last week I said I had 48 triangles for the remaining 12 blocks I needed finished and ready to trim. Well, I trimmed them up yesterday but I only had 44 triangles to make 11 blocks. This morning instead of remembering I only needed 4 triangles to make another block in the back of my head I remembered I needed 4 blocks and so, after digging back out my bright novelty scraps, made 16 more triangles (4 more blocks). I sewed the 15 blocks all together and then into rows of 5 thinking I had 5 blocks across and not 4. When I went to add to the 3 rows of 4 across already completed long ago (the UFO part) I was ready to scream. The UFO was about ready to stay unfinished forever.
This started out as a way to use up small bright scraps but it's been an awful lot of work -marking, ironing, trimming, trimming some more. I don't like the method I used and maybe some day will try a different one. (I have another spider web UFO using a different method in a bin somewhere around here that needs major seam ripping. I hated that method of spider webbing even more.)
So, anyway, I felt committed to keep on with it since I did commit to try to finish up some UFOs on Sundays and so made it as far as the completed top and kind of like it now. It has a lot of yellow in it and red so I will probably use the Spiderman fabric I bought at 50% off plus 15% off with an old fogie discount for the backing. I think I have two pieces of batting I can zigzag together so I don't have to buy any. So, next week you might see it ready for quilting after I decide how to quilt it.
My scrap bins don't seem any emptier. Next time the short strings will go into a wonky log cabin.
Linking up to Design Wall Monday at Patchwork Times.