Friday, July 31, 2020

Frippery


Frippery
It's a finish!
62 x 83



Last year I received a box of scraps that included some 4.5 inch shirt squares.  After I finished my quilt Scared Shirtless in September of last year I used the leftover solids...


...and sashed some sets of four squares.  And then left those blocks at the end of my ironing board until I could decide what to do with them.  (Ooops...I see a safety pin. As I quilt on my DSM I mark spots with a safety pin where I need to bury my knots. I guess I missed this one.)


In February of this year I decided to clear off the end of my ironing board and do something with the blocks and I ended up with a flimsy.  I first cut more squares from my box of old shirts and made enough blocks for a good sized donation quilt and then basically I kept sashing sets of four blocks until I could sash no more. 

After all the squares were sashed then my next set of four blocks was sashed with a wide floral and solid four patches as cornerstones as you see above. 


Then four of those blocks got sashed with a skinny solid and a floral cornerstone like the dark blue you see here...


...and the darker brown you see here. 


Then finally those blocks were sashed with the skinny floral with solid cornerstones. 


Then I backed it with a sheet and quilted it on my DSM with horizontal and vertical lines in light gray thread. I had just enough of that wild floral to use for binding. 




19 comments:

Gretchen Weaver said...

What a great quilt using the leftovers, a beautiful charity quilt. Happy stitching!

grammajudyb said...

You amaze me! I love the combination of shirt plaids and floral sashings and different colored solids and widths of sashings! It is just wonderful! When I was looking at the thumbnail pics on Alicia’s links party, I saw the title Flippery. I thought to my self, that has got to be Cathy at Sane, Crazy, Crumby Quiltting!

sue s said...

This is a clever design and would work well to size up a quilt! I like the variety that shirts bring to a quilt.

Karen said...

I really like this one! Very nice Cathy.

Nann said...

The floral is a fun contrast to the shirtings. (I like the way you matched the stripes in that blue/red block.) Great finish!

Cathy said...

Lovely! The floral is a great contrast to the shirting, and I think it really lends a lot of movement and whimsy. Beautiful!

---"Love" said...

Very nice! I'm sitting here thinking you will have finished over 400 quilts by the end of 2020! ---"Love"

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

That is a fun combination of plaids, solids, and florals, Cathy! Great finish!

SandyPA said...

Good solid finish! I had to say the word frippery a few times just for the fun of it. Sandy at sewhigh.blogspot.com

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

What a great combination of fabrics and the solids! I really like this one, with all of its plaids!!!

Linda said...

I wish I had your mathematical brain paired with your creative way of making one step lead to another. As a result, a fabulous quilt, a great size and a donation that will be loved. Brilliant.

Elizabeth V Kelbaugh said...

Wonderful scrap quilt. I love the irregular width of sashing.

Pamela Arbour said...

Love the blocks and sashing. You are an inspiration to me.

Quilting Babcia said...

Very ingenious use of sashings! A great finish!

The Joyful Quilter said...

What an interesting way to build a quilt. It made for a lovely quilt finish!

gayle said...

Oh, I LOVE all that thick and thin sashing! Sash City!

Louise said...

Great idea for rounds of sashing! I'm glad you explained it, because I certainly couldn't figure it out from just looking. I love the wild floral combined with the plaids :)

mangozz said...

Cute design for shirt plaids! I didn't think that you liked to do sashing though. What I like best about shirt plaids is that if I make a mistake, I don't feel so bad because they don't cost me too much.

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

Such a great quilt! It's scrappy, and vibrant, and vintage-y, a lovely way to combine those solids & plaids. And the floral sashing just makes it!