Friday, July 17, 2020

Tangled Webs





Tangled Webs
64.5 x 85
It's a finish! 


This is a strip quilt, not a string quilt, made of 1.5 width scraps and the "stars" are different spider web fabrics.  I started it back in October 2015 in order to use up my bin of 1.5 inch scraps I had at the time. I did just that but didn't have enough blocks for a quilt so I set it aside for awhile waiting for more scraps to happen. 



I used the Bonnie Hunter tutorial for making the blocks in this one. Back in 2012 I made a Spider Web quilt (with a Spider Man backing) using a different method and strings. 


By May 2019 more scraps had happened so I made it my goal to make more blocks and finish a flimsy. 


I quilted it on my DSM with spider webs.  In the "stars" I quilted leaves because spider webs need to be attached to something. 

In case you are thinking...ewwww, spiders...well, spiders in the Victorian era were a symbol of good luck.  


It took me over a year from flimsy stage to quilting because I don't really enjoy piecing backings. Well, it finally happened and now lots of spider webs and spiders are now a backing. I probably have enough spider web fabric left now to use as center strings in a string quilt. So the drawer full of spider webs is not quite empty yet. 





19 comments:

Quilting Babcia said...

Great finish Cathy! I'm finding I like the spiderweb quilts much more that have darker stars, my white ones just look a bit stark, but maybe they'll take on some personality when they're quilted. Anyway your collection of spiderweb fabrics is amazing, never knew there were that many spiderweb prints out there! Probably because I don't make Halloween quilts. This quilt looks like a keeper!

SandyPA said...

Well done, Cathy! I'm getting the creepy crawlies just looking at all those spiderwebs. Maybe the title could be Spiderling Fling? As for the leftover scraps, have you thought about using the extra 1.5 inch scraps to make scrappy blocks like quiltdivajulie? I am considering it to reduce my small scrap bins that are burgeoning. Sandy at sewhigh.blogspot.com

---"Love" said...

Goodness, there's lots of different fabrics in that quilt. You've made good use of all those scraps, and I'm sure you are glad to be finished with that one! It really is very pretty, even though it does make me a bit dizzy. ---"Love"

Nann said...

It turned out splendidly. And that pieced backing didn't hurt at all, did it?

Linda said...

I love Spider Web quilts and yours has turned out beautifully. I enjoyed reading about all the stages from start to finish.

Libby in TN said...

We always had a spider in our Christmas tree. Mother always said a crazy quilt should have a spider web embroidered on it.

darlynn said...

I have never posted to you before but figured it was high time!
I would like you to know how much I enjoy your blog. I love your thriftiness, your creativity, your thinking outside the box, your willingness to share ideas and mainly the humbleness of your quilts, which I love.
Thank you for blogging.

Rebecca Grace said...

Great job on your Tangled Webs quilt! I love your quilted spiderwebs, too. Congrats on a lovely finish!

Quiltdivajulie said...

Absolutely fabulous -- mine is stalled but your photos today make me want to get busy with Feisty one day soon (sooner instead of later). I love the darker stars . . .

grammajudyb said...

Oh my gosh,I love your Tangled Web quilt! Such fun fabrics! And thanks for the reminder of the pattern you used.
I’ve been wanting to make one for some time. Now I’m excited again!

gayle said...

Absolutely fabulous! I have to admit that I'm startled by how many spiderweb prints there are in the world, though!

Cynthia@wabi-sabi-quilts said...

Great way to use those colorful pieces. Very fun quilt and your machine quilting is perfect for it!

mangozz said...

Tangled Webs is gorgeous! I love all of the colors against the black web fabrics. I would not want to match up all of those little seams though. I would definitely want to keep this one myself.

Cathy said...

So striking, Cathy! And spiderweb fabrics for the backgrounds are just perfect! What an awesome finish - and in plenty of time for fall this year!

Magpie Sue said...

This is a quilt I need to make. It would take me as long (or longer) because I'd need to accumulate the 1.5" strips. I have the necessary spiderweb prints though, probably more than necessary!

Magpie Sue said...

Meant to add that I don't enjoy piecing backs either. I find it more challenging than any block I've ever tackled!

The Joyful Quilter said...

Congratulations on a super cute finish!

Wendy F said...

What a great quilt full of wonderful scraps!

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Oh wow!! How I LOVE this one!!