Friday, July 24, 2020

Old Ms. Cathy Has a Farm


The Farm
aka Down and Dirty Gardening
It's a finish!
69 x 86



Pattern is "House Party" from the book Adding Layers by Kathy Doughty.  I made more blocks so I'd have a larger quilt and I did not make the same border with applique. 



When I finished my top last year I left off borders because I usually don't add borders to my quilts. However, after the top was made I felt it did need a border. It seemed like there was too much yellow in the quilt and I wanted a little more green. I made it my July OMG (One Monthly Goal) to add borders and I accomplished that goal earlier in the month so I went on to the finish line. 


I quilted it edge to edge on my DSM with a variety of flower and leaf shapes. 


I used the same mix of fabrics in the binding as I did in the borders. 


The back is a gardening themed fabric too. I think it was one of those Susan Winget fabrics I bought at one of those Spot the Bolt sales at JoAnn's a long time ago just to use as the backing for whatever quilt I made from gardening themed fabrics.  There was just enough!








22 comments:

Elizabeth V Kelbaugh said...

Fabulous scrappy fun! Thanks for sharing.

Nann said...

And no need to weed!

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

Congratulations on another fabulous finish! I really like the quilting on this.

Linda said...

Oh, Cathy, I LOVE this quilt.

Julierose said...

What a wonderful finish on this quilt--love those garden-themed fabrics...hugs julierose

Quilting Babcia said...

Wonderful finish, so summery and perfect for a shady porch swing - not that you would have time to laze away the afternoon or anything ... hugs!

SandyPA said...

Fantastic finish! And who are you calling old??? "Gardening with Cathy" is my interpretation. Sandy at sewhigh.blogspot.com

Jenny said...

How fortunate to have just enough fabric for the backing, I bet that made you smile! Your garden quilt looked lovely, well done.

Quiltdivajulie said...

What a terrific scrappy theme quilt -- and so appropriate since you love gardening! Congratulations on a super finish.

Home Sewn By Us said...

Hi Cathy! What a wonderful finish and how fab to also have it be your July OMG. I just adore the multiple fabrics used in the border (and binding). Your quilting looks fun and just a perfect choice. I'll bet it feels just nice and squishy and snuggle-worthy. ~smile~ Roseanne

Quilter Kathy said...

That is amazing! I have been studying the quilt to try to understand how it was put together... are there set in seams?

MissPat said...

This is amazing, but like Quilter Kathy, I'm trying to figure out the construction. It looks to be a bit tedious with lots of Y seams.
Pat

Cynthia@wabi-sabi-quilts said...

It's very pretty! Would make a good picnic quilt (if you dared put in on grass). Congratulations on a great finish!

Mystic Quilter said...

Congratulations Cathy on a super finish!! Love the border treatment.

mangozz said...

I love your quilt! It seems to shimmer with all of those fabrics and it's incredible that you would have so many gardening themed fabrics to work with. The backing and borders are perfect too. Beautiful!

Louise said...

I feel healthier just by looking at all these veggies! Great finish, Ms. Cathy :)

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

you know I am now singing that in my head right?? LOVE this quilt - and all the fun prints in it!!

Nikki said...

wonderful quilt!

gayle said...

E I E I O!
It's gorgeous!

Angie said...

Another great one, Cathy! So now in addition to collecting rose fabrics, you've got me inspired to collect farm/veggie fabrics. Hmmm!

Patty said...

Fun quilt! Congrats on your finish and thanks for being part of One Monthly Goal.

Zenia Rene said...

Congrats on this fantastic, scrappilicious make!