Friday, April 24, 2020

Plaid-ish Finish

 Americana Plaid-ish
It's a finish!
64 x 82
A donation quilt.


 I finished the top last October and used scraps left over from another quilt that is still in the to-be-quilted pile and then some. 

My sewing machine still has not gotten into the shop for repair so I'm using the backup machine (with tension problems off and on. In order to have correct tension the top tension is at a high number so thread frequently breaks. The light bulb just burned out and there is no auto needle threader so I can't see well to thread needle) and so kept to some easy quilting with horizontal and vertical lines. I was glad I had some navy blue machine quilting thread on hand. 
 I originally thought I had enough of that navy blue plaid to use for the backing. Since I didn't I pieced a backing and added some stars and stripes prints from the patriotic fabrics box. 
The binding was scrappy red and blues. 

And another UFO gets crossed off the list! 


22 comments:

cityquilter grace said...

very nice red/white/blue..looks like it used up a chunk of scraps too...win/win

Nancy @ Grace and Peace Quilting said...

Awesome finish! I'm especially interested since I'm working on this quilt pattern right now.

maggie fellow said...

congrats on a great finish

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Plaid ish is AH! Mazing!!! I love it - and the colorway you used... it all makes my heart happy!!!

Quilting Babcia said...

One of the best versions of this pattern that I've seen. A perfect quilt of valor. Hope your good machine can get into the shop soon.

---"Love" said...

I love any quilt in R/W/B, and that one is very special! Someone will love it, I'm sure. ---"Love"

gayle said...

Oh, I hope you can get your machine fixed soon! Good for you for persevering!
Love the quilt - what a charmer!

Linda M @ Pieceful Kingdom said...

What a fun quilt! It turned out great.

phylklos said...


I have been waiting for a RWB Plaid-ish pec to show up. yours is Wonderful! Thanks for showing and inspiring us.

Ann said...

Love this pattern...it has been on my to-do list since a friend gave me a copy. Great effect with the red, white, and blue!

Julierose said...

Just really think this is a beautiful finish!! Love that pattern..so scrappy and beautiful
~ ~ ~ waving from my recliner today Julierose

Jenny said...

That looks amazing, great job! I have seen this pattern on blogland and toyed with the idea of making it. Then I thought, that looks a big much for me, so it didn't happen. Guess you would have to have the colors well planned before you started?

The Joyful Quilter said...

Patriotic Plaid-ish?! Love, love, LOVE it!!! Off to read your post more thoroughly for hints and tips...

Laura said...

Absolutely love your patriotic version of this pattern! And I admire your tenacity to keep on quilting in spite of machine issues! :)

mangozz said...

Very cute quilt design and color scheme! I'll need to go check out that pattern.

MissPat said...

Sorry for your machine woes. Hope you can get the good machine in soon. The patriotic Plaid-ish quilt looks great.
Pat

Linda said...

What a great quilt. Love the pieced backing too.

Quilter Kathy said...

Such a clever design! Way to go finishing with all those technical issues!

Karen in Breezy Point said...

Love it--what a fun use of your scraps!!

Louise said...

I can hear marching band music in my head while looking at this fab patriotic quilt! My Plaidish top is in the "to be quilted" pile, patiently waiting its turn :)

Sue SA said...

Wow I love this pattern and the colours you have used. Thank you for sharing the link to the pattern.

Rebecca Grace said...

Great job! I especially love how your pieced backing complements the design on the front of the quilt.