Sunday, April 19, 2020

Milquetoast Is Finished!


 It's a finish!
Milquetoast
85.5 x 85.5
Hand quilted with perle #12 and #8


 The block is called Bright Hopes and finishes at 4.5. I started making blocks back in July 2019 as a way to use a small box of low volume scraps.  

This is not really a quilt because I did not use any batting so there are not three layers. I guess you could call it a coverlet or summer quilt. I named it Milquetoast because it was quite a departure from the bright and wild quilts I normally make. 
  Big stitch hand quilting was started in March 2020.  I used low volume threads I had on hand in white, ecru, gray, light blue, yellow and pink. I stitched both vertical and horizontal lines and did no marking. 

This is quite a collection of low volume scraps accumulated over many years. The last pieces of many fabrics are in this coverlet but I still have some yardage or chunks of others. The cherries and ginghams went into several quilts. The ladybug, Christmas holly and toys, little blue roses,  and the kites came from the thrift store long ago. The pale orange and purple butterflies were some of the first pastels I ever bought to make H swapped blocks. I made several hotpads with that recipe fabric...Oh what a summer quilt full of memories!


 The backing was from the clearance bin at Hobby Lobby. I thought it looked like a summer sheet. Actually, I think it kind of makes the coverlet reversible. The threads I used for quilting match the colors in the backing.  I used the same fabric for binding. I was hoping to have enough fabric left for pillowcases but I didn't.  And so it goes. 








23 comments:

Julierose said...

Lovely coverlet--i like to make some this weight for Summer...
Often if I've sewn onto muslin I will use that as the inner layer..with no batting. This is so pretty and Summer-y looking nice work
~ ~ ~ waving wearing my mask Julierose

Gretchen Weaver said...

I love this quilt! I made 2 crib quilts using the Bright Hopes pattern last summer. I want to make another quilt using larger strips. Have a great sewing week!

Kathy S. said...

Oh my this is gorgeous! It looks so soft. What a great use of those little neutral scraps. I LOVE that fabric with the green spools of thread on it. It will be a fun quilt to sit under and just look at "things". Happy stitching!

Quilting Babcia said...

This is so light and airy, perfect for a summer coverlet. Perhaps enough of the backing fabric remains that it could be the border fabric on a couple burrito-style pillowcases?

Nancy Near Philadelphia said...

I like the quilt a lot and I love the name!

---"Love" said...

It's no wonder that this quilt will forever be so special to you because of all the memories you have sewn into it. Enjoy! ---"Love"

Karrin Hurd said...

Beautiful quilt. Congratulations on the finish!

Brenda said...

Your quilt is beautiful. I think I need to add it as another one to my bucket list. Thanks for all the inspiration!

Linda said...

Just lovely. Gentle colours and so many memories attached to the fabrics you used. Great backing too.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

That is so pretty and summery, Cathy! I love the backing, too. How did you baste it for quilting? Seeing your quilt makes me want to get my blocks out and move them along!

gayle said...

Perfect light summer coverlet! It's lovely, but oh my, it's far from your usual bright cheery colors! You're working way outside your box!

Pamela Arbour said...

You did a fabulous job. I need to try some big stitching. That was a big quilt you did.

Laura said...

I wouldn't mind sleeping under this one on a summer night! Wonderful, Cathy!

MissPat said...

It looks so big in that first picture. A true summer delight.
Pat

Louise said...

Such a soft and pretty finish! I love that you have so many quilty memories in these scraps. Coverlet weight season is coming soon. In fact, it's already here in Florida :)

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

I really like this one. It is so soft and subtle. Thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap!

Cynthia@wabi-sabi-quilts said...

It's fabulous! There are enough bits of bright colors to make it interesting even in its subtlety. I think a big summer coverlet is a great idea.

Kim said...

Your Milquetoast coverlet is fabulous with all those itty bitty squares overflowing with pretty pattern and pastel colour. The pretty backing fabric is perfect. Love too, the different coloured threads you used for the quilting. Two coverlets in one....perfect.

Emily said...

Lots of hidden treasures in there! And I love the backing fabric. Lovely finish, will be prefect and light for hot summer months.

Quiltdivajulie said...

It's perfect!!!!!

Lynette said...

Milquetoast's name may mean timid, but she sure is pretty, isn't she?! Love that backing for this.

Ann said...

What a lovely quilt with all your soft light fabrics. I don't think I have nearly that many but now need to collect them. You choice of backing truly makes it reversible. I think it will be enjoyed for years. Congratulations.

Quilter Kathy said...

So so pretty! I love it! it's the perfect summer quilt!