Wednesday, April 15, 2020

It's a Finish!


 Prepare!
68 x 88
Hand quilted.
 Prepare. Don't just duck and cover. 
I have so many quilt tops that need quilting that sometimes it makes it difficult to decide which top to quilt next. This one has been sitting around a long time because I never felt the urge to finish it. But with current events I decided now was the time to get it finished. 
 Ever since the Duck and Cover drills I practiced as a young girl I have felt the need to be prepared for a catastrophe. Of course as a young girl I also knew there would be little chance of survival with a nuclear bomb but I did know where the nearest fallout shelters happened to be. However, I worried about post apocalyptic times and what I would do about food. As I've grown older I've learned various survival skills and have made sure to have some food stuffs set aside like rice, beans, flour, pasta and canned and dried garden veggies and herbs.   

Around 2011 the CDC published guidlines for  Zombie Prepardness  so I added some zombies to my quilt. They are at the window trying to get into the cache of canned goods.  The "chalkboard" above the "window" lists reasons (embroidered in glow in the dark thread) to be prepared.  Pandemic is listed as one of those reasons. 
 Glow in the dark eyes of more zombies trying to get in. Although I think they are after brain and not my canned goods so I probably don't have to worry much about that. 
 I really am a survivalist (if you want to call it that) at heart. I guess I would call it more self-reliance.   Some friends I used to work with have called me recently to invite themselves to my house because they know they could at least get bread and homemade jam if food got scarce because they never did heed my warnings about being prepared. We all got a good laugh. 

My quilt shows me prepared with lots of chocolate and other snacks. Of course we know that is to have on hand!  But who knew TP would be even more important.  Not even the CDC had that on the Zombie preparedness list. 
 Bacon is another essential. 
 I've had this backing around for ages. I bought it specifically for the back of this quilt. It has dishes on shelves. 
I made a canning jar stamp in my scrapbook supplies so stamped it on my label. A lot of times my quilts don't get labeled but I think this one needed some documentation about the importance of preparedness in case this heirloom gets handed down through the generations. 

Top finished September 2017.
Little did I know that 3 years later there would be a global pandemic of CVD-19.
Hand quilted during self quarantine March-April 2020.


20 comments:

---"Love" said...

Now that is one special quilt! No doubt it will be a reminder through the years of what has happened to us this year. Outside its historical significance, it really is a very cute quilt. Good job! ---"Love"

Quilting Babcia said...

Perfect quilt to commemorate this strange new world we find ourselves living in. We too have always tried to be prepared for an extended stay at home but always figured it would be weather related.

QuiltGram said...

Fun way to memorialize current events. An d I love your arrangement. By far my favorite jar quilt and the story. Love the label.

Linda said...

Wow, what timing for you to finish this quilt. Such a lot to see and thoughts involved. Excellent finish, Cathy.

Julierose said...

What a great "personal" quilt--love those zomboids!! ;)))
Oh yes definitely bacon----and martinis, too...hahaha
Great quilt..
~ ~ ~ waving from snows expected country;0000 Julierose

mangozz said...

Your quilt is adorable! You put a lot of thought into designing it. You were wise to add a label with all of the details too. It will be interesting for people to look at after all this is over...that is, if we ever survive it.

MissPat said...

So you predicted this pandemic. How prophetic of you. What are the three medium blue jars to the right of the zombie eyes supposed to represent? They have me baffled. The news tonight that our governor has declared that we must wear a mask at all times when we leave our houses has me totally depressed. Plus I'm almost out of chocolate although I did restock the beer supply yesterday. Oh, and it's snowing again and sticking.
Pat

Laura said...

Awesome! I love this quilt! What a wonderful way to record this time in history! I am also wondering about the blue jars. Bottled water? :)

Louise said...

This is a fun quilt! And a great reminder that being prepared never goes out of style. We have also been discussing the need to fatten up the pantry here on the boat. Food we
bought for our trip to the Bahamas is forming the foundation of that. Growing our own isn't really an option, so we'll have to barter some of our other skills. DH is a whiz at fixing generators and solar panels. I think that will be useful :)

Cathy said...

I love this quilt! It’s the best of all worlds, combining color, humor, utility, a clever design, historic references, and both chocolate and bacon. OMG, it’s the perfect quilt!!!

Magpie Sue said...

Awesome.

Claire said...

A perfect quilt for the time! And you already had it n progress. I've been wanting to make a quilt that reflects something about the pandemic experience. It is still in the thought stage.

ginkgokid said...

I just LOVE jar quilts, and this vertical 'stack of jars' is unusual, and so neat! The story you included just adds so much! And then you made the absolute jar label! I definitely vote this one a WINNER!!!!!

Emily said...

I remember this top from when you finished it! How appropriate for now--though you are right that had you known, it would have included toilet paper! Those glow in the dark zombie eyes are delightfully creepy! I love the label you made. Fantastic and timely finish!

SandyPA said...

Perfect quilt to finish during this pandemic! I absolutely loved the zombie accents! Sandy at sewhigh.blogspot.com

Kathy S. said...

I somehow missed this post! I LOVE everything about this quilt. The zombies, the eyes, the label--the fabrics are spectacular. What a fun quilt!!!

Quilter Kathy said...

Oh my gosh I LOVE this quilt! it is brilliant from start to finish!
Love the special touches that make this such a unique treasure!

gayle said...

Well of course, **bacon**!
Love everything about this quilt, including that perfect label.
(And I remember those duck and cover drills, too. I'd seen movie footage of atomic bomb blasts, and was totally unconvinced that sitting under my desk with my hands laced behind my neck was a valid defense...)

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

This!!! is awesome!! and when I saw the snickers I knew we could survive! ha ha!! what a great quilt and a great way to use all those awesome food prints!!

Vivian said...

How cool! I had collected food fabrics years ago with the plan to make a canning jar quilt for my kitchen. Never happened! I love your preparedness inspiration! And what quilt is worth it's salt without a few zombies, I ask you?!?! So Fun!