Saturday, April 4, 2020

A Few Light and Bright Blue Scraps


This month the new Rainbow Scrap Challenge (RSC) color is blue...just the lights and brights though.  

I made a few Double X blocks and the alternate Snowball blocks. Since these blocks consist of both 1.5 and 2.5 inch pieces I cut a 1.5 inch strip and a 2.5 inch strip from a chunk scrap to make the blocks. Leftovers go into blocks I made from those sizes of scraps later on in the month. This quilt was inspired by a vintage quilt. Blocks finish at 4 inches. This project started last year and will continue until I run out of that minty green background fabric. 

Giant Churn Dash blocks that finish at 13.5 inches. Pretty wild, huh? But that's where the scraps took me. I'm sure they will look fine when combined with other blocks in a quilt.  All the parts for this block can be cut from five inch scraps but I don't have a bin of scraps in that size so I cut these from scrap chunks too.  Sometimes I cut that middle accent pieces from a 2 inch scrap. 




****
Garden Watch 

Weather permitting I've been taking a garden walk every day. This time of year new things seem to sprout up every day in the flower gardens.  Scilla is a little blue flower about five inches tall.  Bees love it. 

I started with a few little bulbs several years ago and now it has naturalized in patches here and there throughout the flower gardens.  As soon as the Scilla finishes blooming Bluebells will bloom here. 

Mr. and Mrs. Frog enjoy the Crocus in the Fairy Garden. 

More Crocus in front of a miniature gazing globe that marks a rose bush. A lot of times I do not get to enjoy the Crocus because rabbits and deer eat the leaves and buds. 


Species tulips in bloom. 

Yesterday I planted lettuce, spinach, mustard, radishes, snow peas and sets for green onions and sweet onions.  The asparagus bed is cleaned up but no shoots yet.  And I do see lots of rhubarb leaves unfurling in the rhubarb patch. 




15 comments:

Libby in TN said...

I really like the combo of Double X and Snowball!

Julierose said...

You have so many lovely florals...love the blue ones...
~ ~ ~ waves from Julierose

The Joyful Quilter said...

Love, love, LOVE those WILD floral Churn Dash blocks!! For a minute there, I though ALL of the blocks would be made of flower fabric. I can't recall your plan, bit think that would make an AMAZING quilt!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

The giant churn dash blocks are great - they look perfect for the big florals! I enjoyed the tour of your garden, too. It's so nice to see things blooming!

Susie H said...

Loving all your blocks. Those Giant Churn Dash blocks are really spectacular. Love the garden pics. Your vegetable garden sounds delicious! I'm assuming you planted seeds? Outdoors? I guess I'd better get a move on in my own garden!

gayle said...

Loving your quilt blocks and your flowers!
We're still a bit out from crocus, but soon! I'm keeping a sharp eye out for them!

Edith said...

Such lovely blue things happening here, including the garden.

---"Love" said...

That's going to be another very pretty quilt! Your little flowers are beautiful now. I have a few things blooming, but today, cold and wet, has probably ruined them. Please tell me Spring is on the way! ---"Love"

Louise said...

Those churn dashes are great! And thanks for sharing your lovely spring flowers. I'd never heard of Scilla before. Is it pronounced Skilla or Silla?

maggie fellow said...

great fabrics and i is good to see Spring

Cathy said...

I love those churn dash blocks too! But the best part was seeing your sweet spring flowers!

MissPat said...

I haven't gotten to the RSC blocks yet. I'm not sure even what I need at this point since I haven't started any new ones this year.
The spring garden, OTOH, is doing well. Helleborus, daffodils, scilla, forsythia all in bloom. Crocus and dutch iris past their prime. Lots of plants poking up amongst the more prevalent weeds. I need to spray some deer repellent as the day lilies and other things are being eaten to the ground. Sun today, but snow flurries in the forecast for later this week.
Pat

SandyPA said...

Your comments about your garden make me miss my large garden in Pennsylvania. Fresh asparagus is to die for! By the way, here is another scrap busting quilt for you to check out: https://kleinmeisjequilts.blogspot.com/2020/03/target-top-completed.html Sandy at sewhigh.blogspot.com

Ann said...

Mixing blocks together in a quilt makes it more interesting. Snowballs are simple but much more effective than a solid alternate block. Fun to see these together.
Your churn dashes remind me of Maureen's at Mystic Quilter. They look lovely.
Oh, for asparagus. We only get it and rhubarb in the store. Too hot here. You set out quite a garden and will enjoy it all summer.. If I could get some seeds, it would be smart to start the planter boxes.

Kaja said...

Like Ann, I like that you are mixing your blocks. Your garden is looking beautifully spring-like. I especially like that lovely tulip (but then I would always go for tulips given the choice).